P.E. May No Longer Be A Required Course

27 Jan 2011 21:49 #21 by Rockdoc

Martin Ent Inc wrote: $$$

??? Has PE gone up in cost so much that we can no longer afford it or is it like so many other things related to budgets that there is fat elsewhere that ought to be trimmed first. Why focus on PE? Why not eliminate other electives that are costly? I'm certain a viable alternative exists. Let's begin with what has changed in the school curriculum over the past 40-50 years and evaluate the benefits vs costs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jan 2011 22:33 #22 by Mayhem
It's the fault of the Tea Party. They threw a wrench in the works. The libs and the NEA were in cruise mode regarding the reprogramming of America via the classroom. All of a sudden up pops Black Bart and the Tea Party demonstrating that there still flickers a small flame of freedom and liberty in this country.
"Sound the alarms, full speed ahead"
"Aye aye, Captain. I'm giving it all shes got! But we need more time in the classroom to step up the brainwashing."
"Very well. Let me see???? We already got recess taken away???? I know! What useful purpose does PE serve for our glorious future? WE don't need fit, clear-minded people in the future. In fact the more slothful the better. Ha ha ha ha!!! That's it! Take their PE and put them back in the programming room, urh argh, I meant the classroom".

28 Jan 2011 10:58 #23 by FredHayek
Maybe they don't want to traumatize this generation by exposing themselves in public showers?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

28 Jan 2011 11:18 #24 by Rockdoc

SS109 wrote: Maybe they don't want to traumatize this generation by exposing themselves in public showers?

Give me a f--ing break. You are not serious are you?

28 Jan 2011 15:26 #25 by FredHayek
I was joking.

It might be the old Statue of Liberty play. Say we have to cut gym because of the budget because very few will care if they actually put a wage freeze on teachers for one year. I am betting the wage freeze would save more money than cutting gym classes.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

28 Jan 2011 15:46 #26 by Rockdoc

SS109 wrote: I was joking.

It might be the old Statue of Liberty play. Say we have to cut gym because of the budget because very few will care if they actually put a wage freeze on teachers for one year. I am betting the wage freeze would save more money than cutting gym classes.

Oh thanks for clarifying that. I thought you might be joking but was unsure. lol

I for one would not like to see teacher salaries frozen or cut. It's time we put our money were our mouth is with regard to the value of education. There must be viable alternatives?

28 Jan 2011 17:32 #27 by Local_Historian
They haven't made kids shower in decades most places- my kids never have.

29 Jan 2011 15:35 #28 by Rockdoc

Local_Historian wrote: They haven't made kids shower in decades most places- my kids never have.

For a lot of what PE is about, showering is not necessary. However, there are a few boys PE classes that would seem to demand a shower afterwards.

29 Jan 2011 15:38 #29 by Rick
I have eaten very poorly all my life, lots of junk food, tons of MEAT usually on the fatty side, sweets, bread, you name it. When I had jobs where i sat on my ass all day, I porked up big time. When I became self employed and spent most of my time on my feet, I slimmed down. Same diet throughout. I know for a fact that my metabolism has changed with more activity; I can eat anything I want at 48 and not gain a pound and at age 30 I was 25 pounds heavier.

I think the weight problem in this country is more due to our technology that replaces physical work (like walking) and less about McDonalds type food. When that stupid Segway invention came out, people were saying it would change the world for the better...HAHA, I'm glad it pretty much flopped, that's all we need is another replacement for our legs.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds