Meet The Liberal Elite!

01 Feb 2011 11:40 #11 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Meet The Liberal Elite!

Nmysys wrote: SC:

You can argue with this video using your left wing based information all you like, but yes, I do believe there is a class of people in this country who think they know better than everyone else, education aside, and are Liberal Elite. There are a number on this forum. When and if the moderators of 285Bound decide this should go in the Ring, then I am sure that is where they will put it. Meanwhile as far as I am concerned, it belongs right here.

Since this huge percentage of highly educated people are known as Liberals, maybe you should look at the fact that they were taught this attitude and philosophy by Liberal Professors who have dominated the world of Academia for a long time. Maybe therein lies the problem, indoctrination into the Liberal Arts and Liberal mentality that has spawned this Progressive movement that is slowly but surely eating away at the foundation of this country and all it has stood for for over 234 years. It is teaching the youth of America IMO many things that it shouldn't even be involved in, sex education and handing out condoms in elementary school, Divisiveness under the guise of humanity, the need to be on the government dole, praise for Obama in song. Revolutionary crap from the days of Che Guavara, praise for Castro, Chavez, etc. It is indoctrination and all along it is turning this country into a third world country by destroying our economy, printing money, lies, cheating, stealing the American Dream, justifying open borders, hate speech by People like LJ and Democratic Senators alike, still after it was proven that the shooter in Arizona was from the left, the attacks continue, but post this and you Elitists complain. WRONG!!!!!

Wikipedia is left wing info now? Yeah, the class of people who think they know better is the rich/those in power, and it's their idea of entitlements that's hurting this country the most right now. A number of people in the Egypt poll thread said they thought I was talking about the US when I was describing their population and reasons for revolting. I wasn't, but the road we are traveling is heading us in that direction, and it's not a liberal-supported or conservative-supported movement, it's a haves- vs have-not's movement. And the divide continues to widen...

What about the Conservative Elite? Do you eschew them as much? http://liberalvaluesblog.com/2010/10/20 ... ve-elites/
Tea Party Members Conned By Conservative Elites
October 20, 2010 — Ron Chusid

These donors to the cause of the Fortune 500 were motivated by a radio appeal from the de facto leader of the Tea Party movement, Glenn Beck, who told them: “Put your money where your mouth is. If you have a dollar, please go to . . . the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and donate today.” Chamber members, he said, “are our parents. They’re our grandparents. They are us.”

They are? Listed as members of the chamber’s board are representatives from Pfizer, ConocoPhillips, Lockheed Martin, JPMorgan Chase, Dow Chemical, Ken Starr’s old law and lobbying firm, and Rolls-Royce North America. Nothing says grass-roots insurgency quite like Rolls-Royce — and nothing says populist revolt quite like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. In describing the big-business group as “us,” Beck (annual revenue: $32 million) provided an unintended moment of clarity into the power behind the Tea Party movement. These aren’t peasants with pitchforks; these are plutocrats with payrolls.

There is genuine populist anger out there. But the angry have been deceived and exploited by posers who belong to the same class of “elites” and “insiders” that the Tea Party movement supposedly deplores. Americans who want to stick it to the man are instead sending money to the man.

Consider the candidates on the ballot next month who are getting Tea Party support. In the Connecticut Senate race, there’s Linda McMahon, who with her husband has a billion-dollar pro-wrestling empire. The challenger to Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold in Wisconsin, Ron Johnson, is a millionaire manufacturing executive. The former head of Gateway computers, Rick Snyder, is spending generously from his fortune to win the Michigan governor’s race.

In New York, the Republican gubernatorial candidate is developer Carl Paladino, with a net worth put at $150 million. And Rick Scott, running for governor in Florida, has a net worth of $219 million from his career as a health-care executive. Then there’s California, where the Republican Senate nominee is former Hewlett-Packard chief executive Carly Fiorina and the gubernatorial candidate is former e-Bay boss Meg Whitman…

Have you ever wondered what being educated means for all of the citizens of this country? If it was an indoctrination, then all professors would be liberal, not 72-87%, and all students would be liberal, which they are not. Education is a tool for creating opportunities, it teaches one to think and question - hardly the traits of those brainwashed. Granted not all come out of college with those skills.

I would argue that it's not a progressive movement that is destroying this country but greed and corruption. And it's practiced by both sides of the aisle.

So you'd rather bury your head in the sand and ignore the fact that teenagers have always, and will always, have sex? Isn't it better to be open and honest about it so they can make informed choices and reduce negative consequences like STDs and unwanted pregnancies?

I haven't seen a single liberal politician or pundit endorse open borders - do you have any evidence for this?

Oh, and it's been debunked several times that the shooter was NOT liberal - he was completely anti-government, and mentally disturbed at that. Repeating that mantra that he's liberal doesn't make it any more true. He was registered as an Independent and didn't even vote in the last election. He shot a Democrat, not a Republican, wouldn't it stand to reason that if he was liberal and angry he'd shoot a conservative?

And now I'm an elitist? What about my behavior makes me an elitist? That I treat others with respect and friendship until they warrant otherwise? That I listen to other viewpoints, analyze them, and respectfully debate my position back with [mostly, sometimes opinion pieces just for something to think about] objective evidence to back up my position? That I support our troops and vets? Grow my own vegetables, and stay home raising my kids?

Or is it just b/c I went to college, my husband makes a good living, my 3 yr old goes to Montessori, I think our DoD/Pentagon is bloated and wasteful (like much of our government, frankly) and needs to be cut back/run more efficiently, and I don't agree with you on everything? :wink:

JMC wrote: For me, the issue is the difference between the Courthouse and the ring. The ring was set up for "no holds barred" the courthouse was for discussion of issues. Posters have confused the two. Just post or move to the ring when you want to engage in personal attacks and name calling. Courthouse is for serious discussion of issues. I can't understand why this is so difficult for a few people.

You posted this video by itself, no commentary on what you believe or disbelieve about it, no asking for debate for or against, so it sure seems like you mean it as a derogatory perpetuation of a term invented by conservatives to label and deride liberals, rather than attempt to engage, listen, and respectfully rebut your position. If you meant otherwise, then my apologies for the mistaken conclusion.

daisypusher wrote: "try[ing] so hard to change America for what they see as better"?

This is so ironic. Doesn't this confirm the purported aspects of "Liberal Elites" in the video? Wasn't that almost the entire point of the video and the reason they are called disparaging "elite"? And is not the stereotype that Liberals do not like America as it is (thus hate it), so they are trying to change it? And why? Because they think they know better? :wink: :pop

Like the Koch brothers, oil execs, and others haven't been and aren't still trying to change it in the direction they'd like? My point is, both sides do it, but you don't hear liberals derogatorily calling conservatives "unpatriotic" for it. The name-calling has to end.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Feb 2011 11:55 #12 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Meet The Liberal Elite!

So you'd rather bury your head in the sand and ignore the fact that teenagers have always, and will always, have sex? Isn't it better to be open and honest about it so they can make informed choices and reduce negative consequences like STDs and unwanted pregnancies?

I believe I stated it was being done in Elementary school. I did not bring up teenagers at all.Believe it or not, I was once a teenager too.

01 Feb 2011 12:00 #13 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Meet The Liberal Elite!

daisypusher wrote: And is not the stereotype that Liberals do not like America as it is (thus hate it), so they are trying to change it?

There is so much wrong with that stereotype.......yet the right likes to keep bringing it up.....if you have children, and you would like to change their behavior, does that mean you hate your children? There is no correlation between wanting to improve America and hating it.......except in the warped view of conservatives. What is interesting is the Tea Party wants to change America to their own way of thinking, yet they are not accused of hating America. Conservatives can be such hypocrites.

01 Feb 2011 12:32 #14 by RivendaleFarms

Nmysys wrote:
You can argue with this video using your left wing based information all you like, but yes, I do believe there is a class of people in this country who think they know better than everyone else, education aside, and are Liberal Elite. There are a number on this forum.(snip) ....WRONG!!!!!

There are those of us who would refer to the "class of people in this country who think they know better than everyone else" as the Tea Party. All depends on one's perspective.

People who disagree with the Tea Party and ultra-conservative movement are no less patriotic, they simply disagree with your definition. Much the same way that outing one of our country's own CIA agents was seen as beyond unpatriotic by anyone who wasn't a fan of that administration, but those fans disagreed. Again, it's perspective, although in the Valerie Plame case it could also be argued that it was downright illegal and possibly treason. But, I digress.

On a lighter note:
SC: Nothing says grass-roots insurgency quite like Rolls-Royce....

That should have come with a Set-Down-Your-Beverage-Warning, it made my coffee come out my nose.

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

01 Feb 2011 12:36 #15 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Meet The Liberal Elite!
Sorry RF! I hope you didn't burn your nose hairs! lol

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

01 Feb 2011 12:42 #16 by RivendaleFarms
I just stepped outside and froze 'em back up.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

01 Feb 2011 12:51 #17 by Nmysys

Much the same way that outing one of our country's own CIA agents was seen as beyond unpatriotic by anyone who wasn't a fan of that administration, but those fans disagreed. Again, it's perspective, although in the Valerie Plame case it could also be argued that it was downright illegal and possibly treason. But, I digress.

Who committed the treason, Libby or Rove, in your opinion?

Shall we argue perspectives on Treason? There are those of us who think there is a case for that claim against many in the current administration.

01 Feb 2011 13:03 #18 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Meet The Liberal Elite!

Nmysys wrote: Shall we argue perspectives on Treason? There are those of us who think there is a case for that claim against many in the current administration.

Really? Pissing off conservatives is now considered treason? who knew?

01 Feb 2011 13:05 #19 by RivendaleFarms
Libby v Rove to me is similar to the comparison of a subordinate in the military following orders he/she knew were illegal. Fine line, there. Both should be accountable.

Regarding claims against this administration or a prior one, until such time as either were to wind up in a court of law, it still boils down to perspective. There are those who think such claims against the Bush administration are ridiculous, much the same way I think such claims against the Obama administration are ridiculous. All depends on your point of view.

trea-son
–noun
1. the offense of acting to overthrow one's government or to harm or kill its sovereign.
2. a violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or to one's state.
3. the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery.

01 Feb 2011 13:11 #20 by Nmysys
So, again in your opinion, you believe that Libby and/or Rove, had orders to out Valerie Plame as a CIA agent?

Thanks for the Elite lesson for today of the meaning of Treason, we of the lesser intelligence and education, are highly appreciative, seeing as how we don't know the way to look up a word in the dictionary.

Your answer somehow rang true as to the title of this thread, no offense intended, as we are all just trying to get along here. We must maintain civility, mustn't we?

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds