Dreams of my Father

05 Feb 2011 06:22 - 05 Feb 2011 09:44 #11 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Dreams of my Father

....I am still waiting for someone from the right to start posting what Republicans plan to do.....what they are working for......who they are promoting for national office, what they would do to better this country...

Archer, if you go back in time to the days things were really discussed on this forum, I gave lots of ideas in detail on taxes, deficits, military spending, social spending, health insurance, finances, housing, constitution etc. etc. I have no idea what the Repubs will do, they need to start un-doing things first. Ron Paul is about the only one with any smarts. Neither party is much interested in the country anymore, only their own self interests, and the next election cycle. I agree the lazy, drive-by, copy and paste posts are tiring.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Feb 2011 09:23 #12 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Dreams of my Father
CG and archer, Obama brought it to the present by contradicting himself day before yesterday. Is this not pertinent? The right wing did not bring it up, Obama did. It appears, by your posts, that you want to ignore this and talk about something else. This topic was discussed at a prayer breadfast by Obama during the turmoil of the Egyptian crisis, apparently because it would not have such an impact since everyone would be focused on foreign policy. (Smart tactic, that.)

Regards,
Major Bean

05 Feb 2011 10:30 #13 by pineinthegrass
Replied by pineinthegrass on topic Dreams of my Father
Has anyone that's commented even read "Dreams from My Father"? If not, what makes you think there is any contridiction here?

I haven't read it, but looking it up it's not just a story about Obama's father. It's more of an autobiography. In the book he says he never knew his father (who left when Obama was very young), other than one time in 1971. Where's the big contridiction here?

The autobiographical narrative tells the story of the life of Obama up to his entry in Harvard Law School. He was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Obama, Sr. of Kenya, and Ann Dunham of Wichita, Kansas, who had met as students at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Obama's parents separated when he was two years old and divorced in 1964. Obama's father went to Harvard to pursue his Ph. D, but he didn't have the money to take his family with him. After that, he returned to Africa to fulfill his promise to the continent. Obama formed an image of his absent father from stories told by his mother and her parents. He saw his father only one more time, in 1971, when Obama Sr. came to Hawaii for a month's visit.[4] The elder Obama died in a car accident in 1982.[4]......

As well as relating the story of Obama's life, the book includes a good deal of reflection on his own personal experiences with race and race relations in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreams_from_My_Father

05 Feb 2011 10:39 #14 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Dreams of my Father
pineinthegrass, You can post all the facts you want, use quotes from the book, whatever, and you will never convince major bean that Obama isn't an alien from Mars or someplace equally distant.

I didn't comment on the OP because I couldn't see the contradiction, and still can't.....maybe because it isn't there except in major beans mind.

05 Feb 2011 15:15 #15 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Dreams of my Father

pineinthegrass wrote: Has anyone that's commented even read "Dreams from My Father"? If not, what makes you think there is any contridiction here?

I haven't read it, but looking it up it's not just a story about Obama's father. It's more of an autobiography. In the book he says he never knew his father (who left when Obama was very young), other than one time in 1971. Where's the big contridiction here?

The autobiographical narrative tells the story of the life of Obama up to his entry in Harvard Law School. He was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Obama, Sr. of Kenya, and Ann Dunham of Wichita, Kansas, who had met as students at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Obama's parents separated when he was two years old and divorced in 1964. Obama's father went to Harvard to pursue his Ph. D, but he didn't have the money to take his family with him. After that, he returned to Africa to fulfill his promise to the continent. Obama formed an image of his absent father from stories told by his mother and her parents. He saw his father only one more time, in 1971, when Obama Sr. came to Hawaii for a month's visit.[4] The elder Obama died in a car accident in 1982.[4]......

As well as relating the story of Obama's life, the book includes a good deal of reflection on his own personal experiences with race and race relations in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreams_from_My_Father

You don't see the contradiction, which is as large as the nose on Jimmy Durante's face, with the blurb you have posted here? His parents didn't separate when he was two years old. Anna was living in Washington State within 3 weeks of his birth while Sr was still living in Hawaii. Obama and his mother didn't return to the island until Sr had left to attend Harvard. There is absolutely no indications that Sr was supporting or helping to support them while they were in Washington, where Anna was attending college in the fall of 1961. They not only didn't separate when he was two, there is absolutely no indications that they ever lived together at all. There is no record that they ever shared an address, no record of a marriage license for them in Hawaii or any other state in the union. The birth announcements in the two Hawaii newspapers list an address that Anna lived at with her parents, but there is no record of Obama Sr ever living there. He never listed it as an address at the college, it was never an address that the post office had for him to receive mail at. Separated when he was 2? They were never together in the first place. Anna and Sr were separated, if one wishes to use that term either well before young Obama II was born or within days of his birth, not 2 years after he was born.

05 Feb 2011 15:18 #16 by Jonathan Hemlock

archer wrote: CG...I am still waiting for someone from the right to start posting what Republicans plan to do.....what they are working for......who they are promoting for national office,....

You want new material, here's some new material, I'm running for office. You want new material, the People of these United States are waking up to this so familiar nonsense and will prevail as they become educated and refuse to rely on an imbecilic Congress predominantly filled with professional politicians, who vote for nothing more than their own salary increases.

Times are a changin' Archer, you better catch up!

05 Feb 2011 15:28 - 05 Feb 2011 15:36 #17 by archer

Jonathan Hemlock wrote:

archer wrote: CG...I am still waiting for someone from the right to start posting what Republicans plan to do.....what they are working for......who they are promoting for national office,....

You want new material, here's some new material, I'm running for office. You want new material, the People of these United States are waking up to this so familiar nonsense and will prevail as they become educated and refuse to rely on an imbecilic Congress predominantly filled with professional politicians, who vote for nothing more than their own salary increases.

Times are a changin' Archer, you better catch up!

The more times change, the more they stay the same. I don't see much difference between the new members of congress and those they replaced, other than the letter after their name. It's still all about them, not us. Maybe you need to do some catchin up. As for the rest of the righties, they continue to dwell on their hatred of Obama to the exclusion of most everything else, it's an unhealthy obcession. But have at it....the more time and effort the right spends on trying to oust Obama from office with lies and innuendo, the more firmly entrenched he becomes. Gotta love watching those poll numbers go up. We'll be happy to give you 4 extra years in 2012 to keep up the obcession.

So what office are ya running for?

05 Feb 2011 15:35 #18 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Dreams of my Father
Which MADE-UP Liberal poll is showing his poll numbers going up??

What is dangerous is the :Koolaid: you are drinking!

05 Feb 2011 15:41 #19 by archer

Nmysys wrote: Which MADE-UP Liberal poll is showing his poll numbers going up??

What is dangerous is the :Koolaid: you are drinking!

Why my dear nmysys, every single poll on Obama's job approval has gone up, even the FOX news poll....
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -1044.html

Ya know, you really do over use the kool-aid line, it doesn't make your point, just makes your post sound snarky.

05 Feb 2011 15:55 #20 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Dreams of my Father
http://www.sify.com/news/obama-s-second ... gbggg.html

"A new poll has found that United States President Barack Obama's approval ratings during his second year in office were the most partisan and polarized they have ever been at two years into a presidency."

"Obama's approval among Republicans averaged just 13 percent, while Democrats' approval of his second year averaged 81 percent."

Sounds like this hope and change and "working across the aisle" are working pretty good.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds