Michelle Obama's Barbecue Hypocrisy

07 Feb 2011 07:40 #1 by outdoor338
The first rule of political pandering: Know what you're talking about.

In an e-mail congratulating Charlotte, N.C., on being named host city for the 2012 Democratic National Convention, Obama mentioned that Charlotte has "great barbecue." As someone who grew up an hour from Charlotte, I can tell you that few natives would say that. Nobody travels to Charlotte for the barbecue. It might have a good barbecue restaurant or two, but the really good stuff is outside of the city.

Obama's been mocked for the obvious pander, as she should have been. But to me the offense wasn't her ignorance of North Carolina's barbecue geography. It was her blatant violation of the second rule of political pandering: Don't pretend to like something you don't.

http://visiontoamerica.org/story/michel ... crisy.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Feb 2011 08:52 #2 by Martin Ent Inc
WOOOoooosssshhh!

07 Feb 2011 08:57 #3 by bailey bud
I always figured Charlotte was known for NASCAR.
(that and Davidson)

Ms. Obama - being the Chicago city slicker that she is - was less likely to know anything about that, though.

07 Feb 2011 09:05 #4 by Photo-fish
Slow news day huh?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

07 Feb 2011 10:05 #5 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Michelle Obama's Barbecue Hypocrisy

outdoor338 wrote: The first rule of political pandering: Know what you're talking about.

In an e-mail congratulating Charlotte, N.C., on being named host city for the 2012 Democratic National Convention, Obama mentioned that Charlotte has "great barbecue." As someone who grew up an hour from Charlotte, I can tell you that few natives would say that. Nobody travels to Charlotte for the barbecue. It might have a good barbecue restaurant or two, but the really good stuff is outside of the city.

Obama's been mocked for the obvious pander, as she should have been. But to me the offense wasn't her ignorance of North Carolina's barbecue geography. It was her blatant violation of the second rule of political pandering: Don't pretend to like something you don't.

http://visiontoamerica.org/story/michel ... crisy.html

Wow- Slow news day huh? I heard john boehner mispronouce a word while he was crying (again!) on Friday, should I call the police?

My friend

07 Feb 2011 12:07 #6 by V_A
If they had only added the word "area" after Charlotte everyone would be happy.

Just another reason why I have grown to hate strong political supporters on both sides of the isle. No common sense.

07 Feb 2011 12:08 #7 by outdoor338
VL..your a Chicago boy...where is the best BBQ in Chicago?

07 Feb 2011 12:26 #8 by Photo-fish
Smoke Daddy's on Division Street.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

07 Feb 2011 12:29 #9 by Residenttroll returns
Charlotte is known for it's banking....that's why the Dems picked Charlotte. The best BBQ in North Carolina is located about three hours from Charlotte...on the eastern side of the state. Michelle is a moron just like her husband.

Democrats + Unions + U.S. Treasury + Banks = Convention

07 Feb 2011 13:38 #10 by JMC
This is a stretch, the best BQ in North Carolina is in South Carolina. A BQ thread in the kitchen might be cool.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds