"characters" you have known.

14 Feb 2011 19:23 #1 by major bean
Tell us about some of the characters that you have known in your life.

One character that I knew was named Udell. He was a Creek Indian who loved a couple of things with a passion; cock fighting and telling lies. I might as well admit it right now; he was my uncle. Udell intertwined bragging with lying and I doubt that he could clearly see the difference. He was so confident of the fighting abilities of his chickens that he once entered an egg in a chicken fight. And, the way he told it, the egg almost won.

Udell drank. He always kept his liquor hidden from us younguns but he would talk about it quite a lot. He kept his 'shine in a Biggo jug which he would drag out whenever my dad would go to see him. My dad made "bathtub" beer, although we did not have a bathtub. He would put the beer into bottles instead of Biggo jugs. Udell would drink shine without taking his chew of tobacco out of his mouth. I knew Udell for 40 years and never saw him without a big chew in his cheek. Never!

The church that we attended had a brush arbor revival and had a preacher come from California to preach all week and make healings. My mom had the preacher over for supper one evening and he and my dad were talking hunting. The preacher told how the pheasants in California were the most skiddish of birds and very hard to bag. This was an earnest conversation verified by many solemn vows and attestations. As dusk became evening Udell dropped by and joined in the visitation. Udell did not know of the previous discussion concerning pheasant hunting and it was quite shocking to hear him tell of how tame the pheasants were in California and that you could bag them by throwing rocks to kill them.

Udell was a bull rider in the rodeo whenever he was in his 20s. He had to quit the rodeo because his insides were shaken up so bad by being thrown from the bulls so much.

Part of what makes Udell so memorable to me was his wife Tommie. Tommie was a looker. Even in old sack dresses she was a looker in the vein of Jane Russell, Lana Turner, or Jane Mansfield. Natural, unadorned beauty. Long black shiny hair. Dark conplexion skin. As a kid I was shocked by her looks. Perverted ain't it? But you would have been impressed also. She is still alive now in her 80s.

Regards,
Major Bean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Feb 2011 19:32 #2 by jf1acai
My aunt was allergic to electricity.

At least that is what she claimed! :wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

14 Feb 2011 20:53 #3 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic "characters" you have known.
I grew up with 2 kids that were named" Ralphie no hope "and his younger brother" Bobby some hope".

14 Feb 2011 21:08 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic "characters" you have known.
I am the biggest 'character' I know.

Except for Tony. He was someone I worked with many, many years ago and was was a very flamboyant gay man. He was like a girlfriend to me. Another friend of mine was a lesbian and they tried to go straight together. It did not work out (after tons of drama..LOL) but he was so much fun to hang with. He was hysterical and we used to rate cute guys together. Serious as a heart attack. I miss Tony.

14 Feb 2011 21:32 #5 by ScienceChic
Ex-fiance. Total free spirit, had the most outlandish stories (backpacking through Europe and sliding through a checkpoint out of East Berlin like he was stealing 2nd base, knife fights in Tijuana, etc!), most of 'em total H.S., but fun nonetheless. He had that IT factor, the life of the party, the person everyone called when they wanted to go have a fun time somewhere cuz he always said yes, and always ramped it up. He wore bright obnoxious clothes just in case a TV crew might show up wherever he was and he knew that would get him at least a screen shot, if not an interview.

His license plate (back when CA allowed 8 characters) was: IFOXHUNT, and he didn't mean the furry four-legged animal, :wink: and had a plate holder that said "Intercourse Thyself".

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Feb 2011 22:27 #6 by pineinthegrass

Science Chic wrote: Ex-fiance. Total free spirit, had the most outlandish stories (backpacking through Europe and sliding through a checkpoint out of East Berlin like he was stealing 2nd base, knife fights in Tijuana, etc!), most of 'em total H.S., but fun nonetheless. He had that IT factor, the life of the party, the person everyone called when they wanted to go have a fun time somewhere cuz he always said yes, and always ramped it up. He wore bright obnoxious clothes just in case a TV crew might show up wherever he was and he knew that would get him at least a screen shot, if not an interview.

His license plate (back when CA allowed 8 characters) was: IFOXHUNT, and he didn't mean the furry four-legged animal, :wink: and had a plate holder that said "Intercourse Thyself".

Wow, and an ex-fiance? Didn't know you got that close back in the day with VL. Yes, he does draw attention! But I guess this photo was before you went blonde?

lol

15 Feb 2011 07:58 #7 by Martin Ent Inc
Most of the ones I knew are either dead or in the prison system.

Peeps that know me think I'm nuts, but I have news for them,,, I'm just a little wacky.

15 Feb 2011 09:18 #8 by Photo-fish
I always meet some characters when I go to Dead Shows. This past weekend was no exception. I often bump into a few old friends from “way back”. Some have mellowed, like me. Some are still a bit off, like me. Some continue to party extremely hard and stay out on part of the tour, unlike me. It is fun to catch up and see where they are in their lives and what interesting and strange things we have been through. We can barely remember some of the crazier times and they seem harder to believe after every passing year. I will always hold those old times and those freaky friends close to my heart.

A few weeks ago I spent some time in Vail with an old school friend from back in WI. This guy is one of the smartest people I know. Top of our class, passed the bar in WI & IL and makes some serious coin. But not a lick of common sense. That is what makes it so much fun to hang with him for a weekend. When I am about to leave to meet him the warning I get from my honey is not ‘be good’ or ‘be careful’, because that is not gonna happen. The warning I get is ‘Don’t be stupid’ because she knows him very well too.

I like hanging out with my 'character' friends. It let's me be a little wild for a while and reminds me of where I came from and what has past and sometimes makes me think of what might have been.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

15 Feb 2011 10:51 #9 by ScienceChic

pineinthegrass wrote: Wow, and an ex-fiance? Didn't know you got that close back in the day with VL. Yes, he does draw attention! But I guess this photo was before you went blonde?

lol

rofllol VL's broken so many hearts... KissyFace:

You shoulda seen me as a red head!!! :wink:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

15 Feb 2011 11:01 #10 by lil precious

Science Chic wrote: rofllol VL's broken so many hearts... KissyFace:

You shoulda seen me as a red head!!! :wink:

Hey chickie, keep your hands off my snuggle bunny :heart: :heart: Except for his golfing buddies he's all mine.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds