Science Chic check this out. Too cool

17 Feb 2011 10:19 #11 by ScienceChic

Correction. You are the one who dragged abortion into it. Wanting to know if people would support using fetal cells. Don't play your liberal deflection game with me.

I did not drag abortion into it, I asked for opinions on the use of embryonic stem cells (which usually come from discarded embryos in fertility treatments, not aborted fetal tissue) in research - what this doctor himself uses in his research. Yes, I asked because I had an idea of what your opinion would be, and I wanted to confront you with the contradictions and see how you justified your support of one but not the other. And you still haven't answered my question: if you don't support abortion and embryonic stem cell research, then why are you so hot to trot about this skin grafting technology? I can guarantee you this doctor didn't create this application successfully without his other work using embryonic stem cells, and his other active research still includes embryonic stem cells. You also haven't commented on my questions about the efficacy and potential side effects of this technology - so who's deflecting/selectively ignoring?

In my opinion pro abortion libs should all be registered in a data base and used for research instead of using animals and babies, like medical jury duty.

Yeah, on my bad, pessimistic days, I am of the opinion that those who support anti-evolution teachings, are AGW deniers, and cheer anti-science politicians should be registered so they are denied access to all the benefits research has garnered the medical and technological fields over the years. You want a heart bypass, cancer treatment, or the latest diabetes drug or antibiotic for your infection, forget it. You need an MRI or want a smart phone or the latest computer, go home. It's like all those people out there who want the services the government provides, but doesn't want to help pay for them, and their answer to fix the deficit is merely to cut government size without understanding the ramifications of what that means. You like the benefits science provides, but only if you get to pick and choose which little itty bitty parts to accept without realizing that it's all the same - if you're going to accept skin grafting technology, that's based on work with stem cells, then you better start accepting evolution (which we see every day with increasing antibiotic resistance, for example) and anthropogenic global warming because while the fields may differ, the methods to obtain that data do not. And evolution and climate change have over 100 years of data behind them; stem cells, not so much.

CG - no apologies for disagreeing! I respect your beliefs, you are consistent and non-hypocritical, and always willing to listen and engage! For that, I luv ya!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Feb 2011 11:02 #12 by Mayhem

Science Chic wrote:

Correction. You are the one who dragged abortion into it. Wanting to know if people would support using fetal cells. Don't play your liberal deflection game with me.

I did not drag abortion into it, I asked for opinions on the use of embryonic stem cells (which usually come from discarded embryos in fertility treatments, not aborted fetal tissue) in research - what this doctor himself uses in his research. Yes, I asked because I had an idea of what your opinion would be, and I wanted to confront you with the contradictions and see how you justified your support of one but not the other. And you still haven't answered my question: if you don't support abortion and embryonic stem cell research, then why are you so hot to trot about this skin grafting technology? I can guarantee you this doctor didn't create this application successfully without his other work using embryonic stem cells, and his other active research still includes embryonic stem cells. You also haven't commented on my questions about the efficacy and potential side effects of this technology - so who's deflecting/selectively ignoring?

In my opinion pro abortion libs should all be registered in a data base and used for research instead of using animals and babies, like medical jury duty.

Yeah, on my bad, pessimistic days, I am of the opinion that those who support anti-evolution teachings, are AGW deniers, and cheer anti-science politicians should be registered so they are denied access to all the benefits research has garnered the medical and technological fields over the years. You want a heart bypass, cancer treatment, or the latest diabetes drug or antibiotic for your infection, forget it. You need an MRI or want a smart phone or the latest computer, go home. It's like all those people out there who want the services the government provides, but doesn't want to help pay for them, and their answer to fix the deficit is merely to cut government size without understanding the ramifications of what that means. You like the benefits science provides, but only if you get to pick and choose which little itty bitty parts to accept without realizing that it's all the same - if you're going to accept skin grafting technology, that's based on work with stem cells, then you better start accepting evolution (which we see every day with increasing antibiotic resistance, for example) and anthropogenic global warming because while the fields may differ, the methods to obtain that data do not. And evolution and climate change have over 100 years of data behind them; stem cells, not so much.

CG - no apologies for disagreeing! I respect your beliefs, you are consistent and non-hypocritical, and always willing to listen and engage! For that, I luv ya!

All research in stem cell therapies have led researchers to the same place. That the most effective donor is the patient. There is no need to continue pursuing what they already know to be inferior.. Therefore it makes perfect sense to use libs as guinea pigs seeing as it is they who are always telling us that animal experiments are not applicable to humans and should be banned. And seeing as they are so quick to devalue the life of an unborn child, likewise I am just as ready to devalue them to a cluster of cells.

17 Feb 2011 12:30 #13 by Martin Ent Inc
Damn I posted this weeks ago here.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" www.285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8035 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8035<!-- l -->

17 Feb 2011 14:17 #14 by Grady

Baileyboy wrote:

Science Chic wrote: Good job on throwing "feminazi" in there - has nothing to do with this debate, but score for using it! :thumbsup:

Correction. You are the one who dragged abortion into it. Wanting to know if people would support using fetal cells. Don't play your liberal deflection game with me. In my opinion pro abortion libs should all be registered in a data base and used for research instead of using animals and babies, like medical jury duty.

SC did not drag abortion into this discussion, I did in a moment of "I should have known better"

17 Feb 2011 15:47 #15 by ScienceChic

Baileyboy wrote: All research in stem cell therapies have led researchers to the same place. That the most effective donor is the patient. There is no need to continue pursuing what they already know to be inferior.. Therefore it makes perfect sense to use libs as guinea pigs seeing as it is they who are always telling us that animal experiments are not applicable to humans and should be banned. And seeing as they are so quick to devalue the life of an unborn child, likewise I am just as ready to devalue them to a cluster of cells.

You still aren't answering my questions.

And no, embryonic stem cells have not been proven inferior, merely a not-as-accepted alternative. There are cases where adult stem cells may work fine for a therapy, but others where they will not. So far, with as new as the stem cell therapies are, embryonic have proven the better option in most cases.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds