New Mexico-Require clean drug screen for entitlements

17 Feb 2011 06:48 #1 by RenegadeCJ
In New Mexico, the senate president is pushing a bill to make a clean drug screen a prerequisite to receiving govt. entitlements.
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/localn ... -benefits-

Seems like a great idea to me. I have to pass a drug screen to work, why shouldn't those who aren't working, but receiving funds have the same requirement?

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Feb 2011 06:50 #2 by outdoor338
Its a great idea, should be for each and every state, you pass tests, you get food stamps, get medical, etc..I like the idea!

17 Feb 2011 07:37 #3 by 2wlady
I like the idea, but how are you going to ensure the kids of these drug addicts are going to get food, shelter, clothing?

And don't tell me that's their parents' problem. Unfortunately, when the kids don't even have the basics, they become our problem and stay our problem, i.e., by ending up the same as their parents.

17 Feb 2011 07:48 #4 by RenegadeCJ

2wlady wrote: I like the idea, but how are you going to ensure the kids of these drug addicts are going to get food, shelter, clothing?

And don't tell me that's their parents' problem. Unfortunately, when the kids don't even have the basics, they become our problem and stay our problem, i.e., by ending up the same as their parents.

Food is available at food pantries all over the state. Clothing is also available.

My thought is that this, for the vast majority, will force them to change. Yes, some are addicts, but if they are, I'd rather subsidize them in rehab, than subsidize them to just sit on a couch. Either way they are hurting their families.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

17 Feb 2011 07:50 #5 by Nobody that matters
If a parent doesn't care enough about their kids to stay off drugs in order to provide them with food and shelter, take the kids away. It's their choice - step up, or step aside.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

17 Feb 2011 08:03 #6 by FredHayek
Tough love? Even if you leave the children out of the equation, a lot of the people on entitlements are weak-willed addicts. I am guessing some of the people would clean up their acts and remain on welfare, but others will just descend to homelessness and crime.

One of my former coworkers had substance abuse problems but then was crippled with a degenerative disease and now lives like a low rent Lindsay Lohan, in and out of treatment programs. I am sure if she was pulled off disability, she would have to go into prostitution or worse. Luckily no children are involved.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Feb 2011 08:09 #7 by Nobody that matters

SS109 wrote: Tough love? Even if you leave the children out of the equation, a lot of the people on entitlements are weak-willed addicts. I am guessing some of the people would clean up their acts and remain on welfare, but others will just descend to homelessness and crime.

One of my former coworkers had substance abuse problems but then was crippled with a degenerative disease and now lives like a low rent Lindsay Lohan, in and out of treatment programs. I am sure if she was pulled off disability, she would have to go into prostitution or worse. Luckily no children are involved.

Yes, tough love. Quit the drugs and we'll carry you. Stay on the drugs, get cut off, turn to crime and we'll imprison you. Either way, we foot the bill - it's their choice if they do it freely or behind bars.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

17 Feb 2011 08:22 #8 by Rick

2wlady wrote: I like the idea, but how are you going to ensure the kids of these drug addicts are going to get food, shelter, clothing?

At some point, people need to face hard times before they decide to change bad habits. Giving a drug user money with no accountability is insane and it doesn't make them better parents....just like paying worthless teachers more does not make them better.

That being said, I would not cut them off immediately, I would give them a few months to clean up and become responsible. Otherwise, we will just continue to perpetuate a Dependant class of people who will never advance their lives or their children's lives.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

17 Feb 2011 09:12 #9 by archer

SS109 wrote: Tough love? Even if you leave the children out of the equation, a lot of the people on entitlements are weak-willed addicts.

Really? A lot of the people are addicts? Guess I would want some numbers on that. I actually have no problem with the program as long as those who fail and are denied welfare are followed up on to make sure the children are taken care of. I really hate condemning a child for it's parents failures.......

17 Feb 2011 10:01 #10 by FredHayek

archer wrote:

SS109 wrote: Tough love? Even if you leave the children out of the equation, a lot of the people on entitlements are weak-willed addicts.

Really? A lot of the people are addicts? Guess I would want some numbers on that. I actually have no problem with the program as long as those who fail and are denied welfare are followed up on to make sure the children are taken care of. I really hate condemning a child for it's parents failures.......

If New Mexico passes this, we will likely have numbers in a couple years showing how many people on entitlements are drug & alcohol abusers. 50% wouldn't sound extreme. And some of that is just because if you don't have a job to go to, you can drink and drug more often.

Sad about the kids whether they stay with the biological parents or are moved to foster homes. I just saw a story yesterday about a foster father who tried to kill a twin brother and sister with chemicals. The girl died and the boy was horribly burned.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds