Egypt Agrees to Let 2 Iranian Warships Thru Suez Canal

18 Feb 2011 15:06 #1 by Nmysys
Pro-Democracy movement in Egypt? First thing they do is agree to let Ahmadinejad get away with provoking Israel.

Does any sensible person really think that the riots in the Middle East will mean Democracy anywhere there?

Egypt Agrees to Let Two Iranian Ships Through Suez Canal

Published February 18, 2011

| Associated Press

CAIRO -- Egypt has agreed to allow two Iranian naval vessels to transit the Suez Canal to the Mediterranean, a military official said Friday, ending several days of confusion over their planned passage, which Israel's foreign minister has labeled a provocation.

An Iranian diplomat has said the vessels were heading to Syria for training and that the request to move through the canal is in line with international regulations.

It would be the first time since Iran's clerical rulers came to power in the 1979 Islamic Revolution that naval vessels from the country have passed through the canal to the Mediterranean.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/02/18/egypt-agrees-let-iranian-ships-suez-canal/#ixzz1ELnXF4Lk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Feb 2011 15:18 #2 by FredHayek
No outrage here. The rules of the Suez Canal say all ships are allowed to pass through unless the ship's country is at war with Egypt.

If they wanted, the Iranians could have gone around a couple different ways.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Feb 2011 15:20 #3 by LadyJazzer
Darn... You mean another outrage-of-the-day from FauxNews turns out to be an outrage against international rules that can't be changed just because the neo-cons want something to be outraged about?

Who knew...?

18 Feb 2011 15:24 #4 by FredHayek
Actually it is more an Israeli outrage. They are upset that the Iranians aren't being stopped.
And this has nothing to do with Mubarak being out of power. Suliman is Hosni version 2.0.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Feb 2011 15:27 #5 by navycpo7
Nothing different than what we in the United States Navy has to do. We have to request permission and we get billed for the transit. The Iranians Navy comes into the Med, they do the so called training, if that is what it is, and that is that. If they decide they want to screw around with Israel, while they really might want to think hard before they act.

18 Feb 2011 15:41 #6 by Photo-fish
What makes them "Warships"? The original FOX news story calls them ships or naval vessels. What's with the Warship reference?

The vessels, a frigate and a supply ship

I admit I would be curious as to the cargo. Bet we have some eyes in the sky watching those ships and the docks they pull into.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

18 Feb 2011 17:04 #7 by Blazer Bob

Photo-fish wrote: What makes them "Warships"? The original FOX news story calls them ships or naval vessels. What's with the Warship reference?

The vessels, a frigate and a supply ship

I admit I would be curious as to the cargo. Bet we have some eyes in the sky watching those ships and the docks they pull into.

A frigate is a warship.

What makes a supply ship a warship? With out looking up my guess would be, manned by military personnel vs. civilian maned and flagged regardless of cargo..

18 Feb 2011 17:09 #8 by Nmysys
Israel on high alert for Iranian warships' Suez transit. Kharg brings missiles
DEBKAfile Special Report February 19, 2011, 12:37 AM (GMT+02:00)

Cairo's approval Friday, Feb. 18 for two Iranian warships to transit the Suez Canal on their way to the Mediterranean has brought Israel and Iran closer than ever before to a naval collision at sea. debkafile reports: Israel has learned that the Iranian cruiser Kharg is carrying long-range missiles for Hizballah which it plans to unload at a Syrian port or Beirut harbor. Following this disclosure, the US said it will be watching the Iranian flotilla and evaluating its movements and cargoes.

http://www.debka.com/

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds