Wisconsin SENATE BILL 11....

21 Feb 2011 12:41 #1 by Wallace Stegner
Not enough attention being paid to other particulars in the 144-page bill.

16.896 Sale or contractual operation of state-owned heating, cooling, and power plants. (1) Notwithstanding ss. 13.48 (14) (am) and 16.705 (1), the department may sell any state−owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best interest of the state. Notwithstanding ss. 196.49 and 196.80, no approval or certification of the public service commission is necessary for a public utility to purchase, or contract for the operation of, such a plant, and any such purchase is considered to be in the public interest and to comply with the criteria for certification of a project under s. 196.49 (3) (b).

Which large, politically active private interest loves buying up power plants and already has considerable interests in Wisconsin? There are dots to be connected here, but doing so might not be in the public interest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Feb 2011 14:39 #2 by Ice
Replied by Ice on topic Wisconsin SENATE BILL 11....
Valuable perspective, thanks, I'm sure the robotic right will dismiss this as usual.

21 Feb 2011 14:47 #3 by HEARTLESS
So Ice, do you believe the government can run things more effectively than private enterprise? After all they just print more unbacked currency, create more debt, and steal from all to justify their incompetence. At least private industry needs to operate at a profit or break even for some period of time.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

21 Feb 2011 15:00 #4 by Wallace Stegner

At least private industry needs to operate at a profit or break even for some period of time.

Easier to operate at a profit or break even if you can acquire another entity, such as a public utility, on a non-bid basis without letting the "free market" determine the price. Shouldn't Conservatives be up-in-arms about this?

The citizens of Wisconsin are looking in the wrong direction on this bill.

21 Feb 2011 15:08 #5 by Ice

HEARTLESS wrote: So Ice, do you believe the government can run things more effectively than private enterprise? After all they just print more unbacked currency, create more debt, and steal from all to justify their incompetence. At least private industry needs to operate at a profit or break even for some period of time.

Some things yes, not most, but some. I am sure if you analyze your question you will agree.

21 Feb 2011 15:14 #6 by HEARTLESS
I agree that the sale or operation should only be on an open bid basis, hopefully the people of Wisconsin wake up to this. And where does the government run anything more efficiently or cost effectively than private industry?

21 Feb 2011 15:39 #7 by Ice

HEARTLESS wrote: I agree that the sale or operation should only be on an open bid basis, hopefully the people of Wisconsin wake up to this. And where does the government run anything more efficiently or cost effectively than private industry?

Not everything in life is about efficiency, trust and not having the profit motive always rule has value too.. Military, safety net,regulating banks are all examples. I could go on, air traffic,interstate roads,large public work projects etc. Get over the fetish that private is always better. The Internet came from public funds as did vaccines and hundreds of innovations that originated at Nasa and other government institutions. Grow up and look without your rose colored glasses.

21 Feb 2011 15:58 #8 by HEARTLESS
Ice, read more of what I write here. I'm all for non-profits, co-ops and freedom of choice. Government mandate is the opposite of those things. Also spend some time reading who actually does the work of interstate roads, large public works projects. It isn't the government, its private industry. Government serves as an oversight at a very high cost and always takes some of everyones slice of the pie.

21 Feb 2011 16:59 #9 by Jonathan Hemlock
When anyone looks into any point in history, where the government has vehemently stated that they are the most qualified to run an industry, we should grow concerned!

No one in their right mind, except for a governmental entity would suggest that they are the final say and the end of all means to provide a service to you and me, But, the aforementioned, Government.

21 Feb 2011 17:00 #10 by Ice

HEARTLESS wrote: Ice, read more of what I write here. I'm all for non-profits, co-ops and freedom of choice. Government mandate is the opposite of those things. Also spend some time reading who actually does the work of interstate roads, large public works projects. It isn't the government, its private industry. Government serves as an oversight at a very high cost and always takes some of everyones slice of the pie.

You have a better idea?, know it all's like you think things happen automatically. I worked in the private sector my whole life and we screw up just the same and sometimes for the wrong and worse reasons, it is all about balance.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds