Border insecurity?

22 Feb 2011 10:22 #1 by archer
Border insecurity? was created by archer
I'm baffled by this.

If the Republican emphasis is on border security, why did Republicans vote to reduce funding for their own priority?

In a letter sent on Monday to House appropriations leaders, Senator Charles Schumer of New York and two other Democrats said the House bill would shrink the Border Patrol by 870 agents and cut $272 million in funds for surveillance systems to monitor the border with Mexico. They said those cuts would cancel gains from a bill adopted last August, with virtually unanimous bipartisan support, that increased border funding by $600 million, adding 1,000 new agents to the Border Patrol.

"This magnitude of reduction is simply dangerous," wrote Mr. Schumer, who is chairman of the Senate judiciary subcommittee on immigration. Also signing were Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico and Jon Tester of Montana. [...]

<cut>
why in the world Republicans would demand improved border security and then vote to do the opposite. The answer, I suspect, is that House GOP officials don't really know what they're doing -- they looked at the budget for the fiscal year like a pinata, and just started swinging wildly while blindfolded. It seems quite likely to me that Republicans slashed funding for the Border Patrol without even realizing it.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archiv ... 028113.php
(bolding is mine)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Feb 2011 10:46 #2 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic Border insecurity?
Yet another brilliant move...

22 Feb 2011 11:05 #3 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Border insecurity?
the repubs have no more interest in securing the border than do the dems

22 Feb 2011 11:14 #4 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic Border insecurity?
Exactly- repubs see illegal immigrants as cheap labor and dems see them as voters.

22 Feb 2011 11:58 #5 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Border insecurity?
Only the American people want to prevent illegal immigration, not the politicians, nor businesses, nor limousine liberals. They like the idea of more citizens to tax, more workers to exploit, and more voters in their camp.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Feb 2011 12:44 #6 by Martin Ent Inc

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds