Should we send $400 million to Palestine?

09 Jun 2010 11:13 #1 by The Viking
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

President Barack Obama said Wednesday the United States was to unveil a 400-million-dollar civilian aid package for the Palestinians, as he called the situation in the Gaza Strip "unsustainable."

So with our economy the way it is, and our unemployment near 10%, should we send $400 million to Palestine to help them out? Now all the bailouts in America aren't enough? We need to bail out other countries when we are in bad shape ourselves?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jun 2010 11:14 #2 by The Viking
Where is this money coming from? We are already deep in the red. So doesn't that mean we are actually borrowing money to give to other countries?

09 Jun 2010 11:17 #3 by Nobody that matters

The Viking wrote: www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=TX-PAR-BXL96&show_article=1

President Barack Obama said Wednesday the United States was to unveil a 400-million-dollar civilian aid package for the Palestinians, as he called the situation in the Gaza Strip "unsustainable."

So with our economy the way it is, and our unemployment near 10%, should we send $400 million to Palestine to help them out? Now all the bailouts in America aren't enough? We need to bail out other countries when we are in bad shape ourselves?

Sure!!!! What the heck, we're spending China's money anyway!

Spit in Israel's eye, Give a corrupt government a buncha money so they can continue buying explosives to lob at each other and their neighbors...

What could possibly be wrong with all that?

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

09 Jun 2010 11:26 #4 by Wayne Harrison
Or Israel could just give back the Gaza Strip it took during the Six Day War.

09 Jun 2010 11:47 #5 by conifermtman

Wayne Harrison wrote: Or Israel could just give back the Gaza Strip it took during the Six Day War.

To the winner goes the spoils.

09 Jun 2010 11:49 #6 by conifermtman

The Viking wrote: Where is this money coming from? We are already deep in the red. So doesn't that mean we are actually borrowing money to give to other countries?

China

09 Jun 2010 11:52 #7 by conifermtman
Unfortunately, until the new congress is in place, we are stuck with most of Obama's antics. The Kamikaze Democrats know they are doomed this election cycle so they have nothing to lose at this point. They will continue to support our affirmative action president.

09 Jun 2010 12:14 #8 by bailey bud
I would consider the possibility of reducing military aid to Israel by about 10 percent (240 milliion reduction). Re-allocate those funds to Palestine for social development and humanitarian assistance. (books instead of bullets)

I would also consider imposing a 5 percent tariff on funds remitted to Israel - (5 percent of 1.3 billion = 65 million).

Total proposed aid = 305 million. (less than the proposal originally noted)
Incidentally, this proposal only generates about $200 per person in Gaza --- that's not much.

Israel has one of the highest per capita GDPs and highest per capita wealth in the region.

If the point of international aid is to aid needy countries (obviously not the goal with US pollicy - or it wouldn't be almost entirely military adi)- I don't feel there's much need being demonstrated.

When World Vision tells me that Gaza is a disaster area - I believe it.

09 Jun 2010 15:01 #9 by PrintSmith

conifermtman wrote:

Wayne Harrison wrote: Or Israel could just give back the Gaza Strip it took during the Six Day War.

I don't think the aggressor should be able to keep land gains CMM. Israel may have felt threatened, and Egypt shouldn't have closed the canal to Israeli flagged ships, but being the first to fire shots should have some consequences and one of those would be the surrender of any territory gained as a result of the shooting.

09 Jun 2010 15:07 - 09 Jun 2010 15:22 #10 by The Viking

PrintSmith wrote:

conifermtman wrote:

I don't think the aggressor should be able to keep land gains CMM. Israel may have felt threatened, and Egypt shouldn't have closed the canal to Israeli flagged ships, but being the first to fire shots should have some consequences and one of those would be the surrender of any territory gained as a result of the shooting.

So do we need to give back Texas and a good portion of the Western US to Mexico as it was theirs before 1848. Or what is the cut off? Just curious what you think the difference is.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds