Okla. Police Capt Transferred for Refusing to Attend Muslim

24 Feb 2011 21:29 #1 by Mayhem
Sounds like a case of this captain's superior has a lib's hand up his ass. He is a PC puppet trying to force it down other peoples throats. Another opportunity for Franklin Azar.

S Okla. Police Captain Transferred for Refusing to Attend Muslim Event

A Tulsa, OK police captain has filed a lawsuit against a superior after he was transferred following his refusal to attend a Muslim event. According to him, ordering him to attend the event was a violation of his religious convictions, and transferring him was religious retaliation.

Capt. Paul Fields is currently under internal investigation for refusing an order to send officers to the Islamic Society of Tulsa’s Law Enforcement Appreciation Day held at a local mosque:

“It is my opinion and that of my legal counsel that forcing me to enter a Mosque when it is not directly related to a police call for service is a violation of my Civil Rights,” Fields wrote in an internal police department memo obtained by Fox News.

“I have no problem with officers attending on a voluntary basis; however, I take exception to requiring officers to attend this event,” Fields wrote in an e-mail to his superior officer again obtained by Fox News. “I believe this directive to be an unlawful order, as it is in direct conflict with my personal religious convictions.”

KOKI-TV in Tulsa obtained a memo from Deputy Chief Daryl Webster to Captain Paul Fields explaining that the order to send officers had nothing to do with religion.

“Since you are not required to participate or assist in any religious observance, make any expression of belief, or adopt any belief system, this meeting is a secular law enforcement function that happens to take place at a venue associated with a religious belief,” Webster writes.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/okla-po ... lim-event/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Feb 2011 22:30 #2 by bailey bud
Joseph stood in Pharoah's court
Nehimiah was cup bearer for a Persian King (likely Zoroastrian)
Danial served Darius the Great - who also was likely Zoroastrian
Paul stood in Athens

I think the individual in question is kind of silly for refusing to attend and be recognized and appreciated.

I was summoned to a mosque once, to be appreciated for some assistance that I lent to someone - and it really wasn't a big deal - or a threat to my faith (your faith is kind of small if you're threatened by a recognition ceremony).

Although I feel Officer Field's objections are silly ---- I'm not sure that it's okay to force him to go, either ---- attending a community recognition service is outside the normal set of responsibilities.

25 Feb 2011 07:16 #3 by navycpo7
I do not believe for a minute that the Police Captain was wrong. If the muslim community wanted to really show appreciation, why could it not be done at a Community Center etc. It would have been a neutral area. All we ever hear is how a Mosque is sarced. To order him to order his Police officers to attend is wrong. That is no different than that idiot General that ordered some of the troops to attend a religious event on the base. It is not allowed. This country has freedom of religion, It should have been volunteers only.

25 Feb 2011 07:36 #4 by major bean
The following quote from the article implicates that the presentation was an attempt at proselytizing.

But complicating Webster’s claims that the event was non-religious is a promotional flyer saying the event would include “presentations” on “beliefs, human rights, and women.” Attendees would also be able to watch a Muslim prayer service and take a tour of the mosque.

Regards,
Major Bean

25 Feb 2011 16:20 #5 by Mayhem

bailey bud wrote: Joseph stood in Pharoah's court
Nehimiah was cup bearer for a Persian King (likely Zoroastrian)
Danial served Darius the Great - who also was likely Zoroastrian
Paul stood in Athens

I think the individual in question is kind of silly for refusing to attend and be recognized and appreciated.

I was summoned to a mosque once, to be appreciated for some assistance that I lent to someone - and it really wasn't a big deal - or a threat to my faith (your faith is kind of small if you're threatened by a recognition ceremony).

Although I feel Officer Field's objections are silly ---- I'm not sure that it's okay to force him to go, either ---- attending a community recognition service is outside the normal set of responsibilities.

Another from the resident apologist.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds