Is the Internet making us lazy? (poll)

25 Feb 2011 09:42 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Is the Internet making us lazy? (poll) was created by CinnamonGirl
WTH? This story made me think. Should we be letting the Internet guide us with most of our information? Is it making us so lazy that we do not do our own research anymore? Is this okay?

I know I am always surprised when I see Youtube videos on the news. It seems like they need each other. But at the same time don't we need to reasearch what we are using to be sure it is accurate? Some profs at my son's school have warned about Wiki.

http://wonkette.com/438894/louisiana-ju ... it-history

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Feb 2011 09:49 #2 by FredHayek
Sure. It is really easy to click a couple times and get an answer. But downside, if I had to go to a physical library or dust off my encyclopedias to get an answer, I might not even make the effort.
Would you prefer lazy people with answers or only 10% of the info?
And some of the info I learn, I wouldn't have a clue how to access at the library, like the current population of Libya, most likely any book that had the population would be out of date or possibly not avaialble.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Feb 2011 10:34 #3 by Pony Soldier
I can picture this new government "kill switch" being used ten years from now and all these bleary eyed people stumbling out of their homes and looking around at the world they forgot.

25 Feb 2011 11:30 #4 by Nobody that matters
The internet enables people that are pre-disposed to being lazy.

It also serves as a wonderful resource for quick information to enhance the knowledge of those willing to look into the credibility of the sources.

The information age - it's a blessing, and a curse.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

25 Feb 2011 11:46 #5 by Grady
I was to lazy to vote

25 Feb 2011 12:14 #6 by major bean
It is a supplement to learning for those who love research. To those who do not love learning but want quick and easy info, then it will only increase/strengthen their ignorance.
Upside/Downside

Regards,
Major Bean

25 Feb 2011 12:33 #7 by ComputerBreath
I think it has made some lazier...but I believe those were lazy to begin with and wouldn't have bothered to find out the information anyways.
I think it has given some more information at their fingertips...but these are the same people that would have visited the local library or had the newspaper delivered daily...they would have figured out a way to get the information.
I think a lot of people are being more gullible to what is posted on some websites...but, these people would have been gullible anyways.
I do believe there is a little more communication with others outside my normal routine...and I wouldn't have these conversations without the web.

The web is a good thing...as most are...if used correctly...as most things are.

25 Feb 2011 16:55 #8 by Mayhem
ANd don't forget VL's favorite use of the internet, the half workout.
File Attachment:

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds