God's grace on display for the seemingly "unforgivable"

09 Mar 2011 15:50 #61 by Pony Soldier
By stating that both sex outside of marriage and abortion are immoral, you cloud the issue. This is why your argument will never be successful - you are fighting from the fringe and trying to impose YOUR morals on others who might not have the same moral code.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Mar 2011 15:55 #62 by LadyJazzer
Not all abortions are the result of "sex outside of marriage"... There goes your "moral imperative."

09 Mar 2011 15:59 #63 by Obam me

towermonkey wrote: By stating that both sex outside of marriage and abortion are immoral, you cloud the issue. This is why your argument will never be successful - you are fighting from the fringe and trying to impose YOUR morals on others who might not have the same moral code.

No...not trying to impose my morals...just making a statement. I just wonder how many heartaches I could have avoided if I had made decisions based on...I'll say it...God's word. I can think of a few things that would definintely be different in my life had I not ignored what I knew was God's perfect plan was for me. Impose my morality on others...never. But I'll at least toss the morality idea out there...take it or leave it.

And you validated my point - we live in a world of moral relativism.

09 Mar 2011 16:01 #64 by Obam me

LadyJazzer wrote: Not all abortions are the result of "sex outside of marriage"... There goes your "moral imperative."

Oh my gosh! Really!! Now THIS is news to me. Thanks for sharing LJ. :faint:

09 Mar 2011 16:03 #65 by Pony Soldier
Oh I agree to a point, but for instance, I am non-religious. You can tell me about God's word all day long and it won't mean a hill of beans to me. If you tell me that abortion is really taking a life and not just a lump of cells and then back it up with a video like the one toward the beginning of this thread, that at least starts me down the path. If I then reach the decision, based on that information, that abortion is wrong, I have actually learned something. That's all I was trying to get at with the "imposing" statement.

09 Mar 2011 16:05 #66 by Obam me

towermonkey wrote: Oh I agree to a point, but for instance, I am non-religious. You can tell me about God's word all day long and it won't mean a hill of beans to me. If you tell me that abortion is really taking a life and not just a lump of cells and then back it up with a video like the one toward the beginning of this thread, that at least starts me down the path. If I then reach the decision, nased on that information, that abortion is wrong, I have actually learned something. That's all I was trying to get at with the "imposing" statement.

Got it! And really, I get it. Just tossing out an idea that I haven't seen talked about much around these here parts!

09 Mar 2011 18:49 #67 by major bean

archer wrote:

major bean wrote:

AspenValley wrote:

major bean wrote: If it would work to prevent the murder of babies, it will work to prevent ALL murders. If A=B and B=C, then A=C.
The logic is perfect. The premise is faulty.

The logic of If A=B and B=C, then A=C is indeed flawless.

However, the "logic" of your attack on SCs point, if we can call it logic, does not follow that model or even vaguely resemble it.

What rate of "acceptable losses" is reasonable to you? How many abortions are OK with you? If the number is 0% then your logic for supporting "some" abortions (oh, they were ignorant girls) is seriously flawed. If the number is greater then 0% then you support abortion. It is simple logic. Go figure.

MB....it will never be zero.....even if it is made illegal to have any kind of abortion.....you will just drive some girls/women to try to self abort or visit the friendly neighborhood abortionist who will most likely NOT be a medical doctor.

Then let's do away with murder laws because those who want to have someone killed will always resort to the neighborhood gangster, hood, or hired gun. It is simple(minded) logic.

Regards,
Major Bean

09 Mar 2011 18:52 #68 by major bean

AspenValley wrote:

major bean wrote:

AspenValley wrote:

major bean wrote: If it would work to prevent the murder of babies, it will work to prevent ALL murders. If A=B and B=C, then A=C.

However, the "logic" of your attack on SCs point, if we can call it logic, does not follow that model or even vaguely resemble it.

What rate of "acceptable losses" is reasonable to you? How many abortions are OK with you? If the number is 0% then your logic for supporting "some" abortions (oh, they were ignorant girls) is seriously flawed. If the number is greater then 0% then you support abortion. It is simple logic. Go figure.

What does this have to do with my comments above?

And what are you talking about? You are making less sense with every post.

"Oh they were ignorant girls"? Who said that? I sure didn't. Was it voices in your head?

I do not see where you would be puzzled. You are advocating education for solve the abortion problem. The girls must be ignorant or you would not need to educate them. This is simple.

Regards,
Major Bean

10 Mar 2011 05:56 #69 by AspenValley

major bean wrote:

AspenValley wrote:

major bean wrote:

AspenValley wrote:

What does this have to do with my comments above?

And what are you talking about? You are making less sense with every post.

"Oh they were ignorant girls"? Who said that? I sure didn't. Was it voices in your head?

I do not see where you would be puzzled. You are advocating education for solve the abortion problem. The girls must be ignorant or you would not need to educate them. This is simple.

I am not puzzled, I am annoyed that instead of responding to what I actually have SAID, you put words in my mouth and then ridicule what I never said.

Why don't you go back a bit and read what I actually did have to say about "sex education" and then we'll talk. That is, if you can manage to stop the knee-jerk "AV is a "lib", all "libs" think "X, Y, Z" so I'll just ridicule X,Y,Z, instead of addressing what AV actually said." That's intellectual laziness at best, deliberate disingenuousness at worst.

11 Mar 2011 09:33 #70 by ScienceChic

major bean wrote: Science Chic, you must believe that "information" will over come homones. That is totally not true. Education will never be the guiding light of a girl with the "hots".

I find it very interesting that you only mention girls in your statements. Are you implying that it's only a females fault, and responsibility, to prevent unintended consequences? Yes, I absolutely believe that education would improve the situation - a big reason that young girls get into trouble is because of misinformation and lack of access to birth control. The reasons for older women having unintended pregnancies is entirely different, and needs to be addressed differently. But the boys need to step up to the plate here too - or do their hormones absolve them of responsibility?

Nmysys wrote: Since when does Society, ie: the taxpayer have the responsibility to raise the child? What happened to parents having the responsibility of teaching their children? Is this another RIGHT that is guaranteed somewhere?

It seems to me that Sexual Education in the schools has accomplished NOTHING, zilch, nada, but it has cost Billions.

Where in my statements did you see taxpayer funding? Sex ed hasn't accomplished much because the sex ed classes have been hamstrung by those who want to inject "morality" and avoid controversial subjects. That's why I described the sex ed class I took - it was completely useless in helping me make responsible, INFORMED choices. Yes, absolutely parents need to step up, but the majority of them won't bother checking out the CDC and getting facts on each STD and pregnancy risks associated with each birth control method, let alone talking to their kids about it. Mine sure didn't, how about yours?

I agree MB. Just thinking that maybe a dose of morality might keep some from overcoming those hormones? Oh wait...that would be imposing certain religious beliefs, huh? Nevermind.

IMHO, that's what this all really boils down to - sex out of marriage and killing the unborn - both are immoral. We're a society where morals are relative.

So abstinence education has been proven time and again to be very ineffective, but it's palatable to those who would rather feel good about themselves that they are teaching their kids to do the right thing, but ignoring the fact that the kids continue to make irresponsible choices. Would you rather feel good about yourself, or implement an education and support system that actually gets results, ie reduces the unintended pregnancy and abortion rates? It is possible to teach kids to be responsible by giving them the facts, and then wait for their moral development to catch up - they can be two very separate things because you don't have to be moral to be safe about sex, and by being safe they will be inadvertently more moral because they won't have to abort a life. Win-win?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds