NPR caught with its pants down..dealing with Muslim bro-hood

09 Mar 2011 09:45 #21 by LadyJazzer

towermonkey wrote:

towermonkey wrote: I read the whole article and didn't see anything about the Muslim Brotherhood. Care to share your source for that?

That's what I thought.

No, but it gave him a chance to use the words "Muslim Brotherhood" in a sentence--even if it was a total fabrication...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Mar 2011 09:50 - 09 Mar 2011 09:56 #22 by AspenValley
Aside from the stupidity of some of the people involved in this (and the appropriate resignation) this makes me wonder if NPR should be supported by anything BUT the government. I have never really "gotten" how it was not okay to pay for commercials on NPR but okay for commercial or political organizations to buy "sponsorships". How is that different? I think this sorry event is actually an argument for it being funded completely by the government, although God Knows the government is driven these days too by "contributions" from special interests. Ugh, what a mess!

09 Mar 2011 09:52 #23 by major bean

kresspin wrote: I like to stay objective and that requires not succumbing to generalities.

It would be helpful for me for people to post actual examples to back up their personal observations. I've found many people's "observations" colored by their own biases.

Whenever 9/11 happened and Bush took to the skies in Airforce One, NPR accused Bush of cowardice by running away in the jet. This was broadcast while Bush was in the air!

NPR is absolutely biased.

But I am of the opinion that public radio and public TV has to have free rein so that they do not become propaganda instruments of the government and become heavily censured by the gov't.

Regards,
Major Bean

09 Mar 2011 10:00 #24 by Blazer Bob
I do not see why the political orientation of NPR is in any way relevant to the debate on defending them. NPR came about in the days when there were only ABC, NBC, CBS and rabbit ears.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

09 Mar 2011 10:10 #25 by Nobody that matters

towermonkey wrote: I read the whole article and didn't see anything about the Muslim Brotherhood. Care to share your source for that?

http://www.boston.com/news/source/2011/ ... eo_le.html

"In the 11-minute video, Ron Schiller, president of the NPR Foundation and vice president of development, and Betsy Liley, senior director of institutional giving, speak with two men posing as prospective donors from the Muslim Brotherhood Front Group. "

The NPR guy thought he was dealing with the Muslim Brotherhood. The point of most of the articles I saw is how the NPR exec acts when he thinks he's dealing with the Muslim Brotherhood. So, the focus is on the NPR exec, the name of the muslim group the 'contributors' claimed association with is important, but the NPR exec's reaction to that information is what's being criticized.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

09 Mar 2011 10:12 #26 by Nobody that matters

LadyJazzer wrote: No, but it gave him a chance to use the words "Muslim Brotherhood" in a sentence--even if it was a total fabrication...

The name of the group used in the fabrication is an important detail, as it sets the stage for the NPR exec's comments.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

09 Mar 2011 10:21 #27 by Pony Soldier
Thanks Nobody! It was not clear in the article cited as they only referenced Muslims.

09 Mar 2011 10:30 #28 by FredHayek
Imagine if a Fox News ad salesman made anti-Semitic statements? The Left would be demanding that the company lose their FCC license.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Mar 2011 10:46 #29 by kresspin
The problems I have is that James O'Keefe (the guy who made the recording) has a history of deceptive practices, going back to college, where he asked another student to edit a video so it appeared to show something it really didn't.

The ACORN video turned out not to be what he claimed it was.

O'Keefe claimed that his ACORN tapes were a "nationwide ACORN child prostitution investigation" that implicated many ACORN employees. In at least six of the eight heavily edited videos, either the activists did not clearly tell the ACORN employees that they were planning to engage in child prostitution; or the ACORN employees refused to help them or apparently deliberately misled them; or ACORN employees contacted the police following their visit. But he never reported those facts.

Three separate investigations cleared ACORN workers of criminal wrongdoing, and a 2009 report by the Congressional Research Service stated that O'Keefe's surreptitious videotaping may have broken laws in California and Maryland.

O'Keefe doesn't exactly have a stellar record when it comes to undercover investigations.

09 Mar 2011 11:40 #30 by FredHayek
Rush is saying that O'Keefe has more videos to release. Maybe why the NPR CEO resigned?
And the fundraising Schiller already has lost his new job at the Aspen Institiute according to the Wall Street Journal. Maybe they prefer to not hire anti-semites.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds