NPR caught with its pants down..dealing with Muslim bro-hood

09 Mar 2011 11:47 #31 by Pony Soldier
Semitic refers to a language. When you say anti-semite, you are including quite a large region of people including those who speak Arabic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Mar 2011 11:52 #32 by Blazer Bob

towermonkey wrote: Semitic refers to a language. When you say anti-semite, you are including quite a large region of people including those who speak Arabic.

Technically true, but the generally accepted meaning has been anti-Jewish for decades if not longer.

09 Mar 2011 11:53 #33 by outdoor338
Adj. 1. anti-semitic - relating to or characterized by anti-Semitism; hating Jews

09 Mar 2011 13:02 #34 by Pony Soldier

neptunechimney wrote:

towermonkey wrote: Semitic refers to a language. When you say anti-semite, you are including quite a large region of people including those who speak Arabic.

Technically true, but the generally accepted meaning has been anti-Jewish for decades if not longer.

I know, but it just bugs me when things are corrupted to mean something they don't. Sorry, my problem - not yours.

Back to the OP, I think the sting was fairly effective regardless of who conducted it. You can call into question the tactics, or O'Keefe's credibility, but then you also would have to question the guy who pranked Walker saying that he was one of the Koch brothers.I have seen the way things are done at a local station level at PBS and I'm sure that NPR is similar. They simply couldn't compete in the marketplace with their current model. I've never liked the idea of government paying the bills for a network. It just seems to cultivate a very rotten image.

09 Mar 2011 13:18 #35 by FredHayek

I know, I find it funny when they accuse Arab politicians of being anti-Semitic.
So they hate themselves? lol

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Mar 2011 13:25 #36 by AspenValley
Maybe it's time we just got rid of the phrase "anti-semitic" since it's meaning has changed from the original so much as to muddy the intent?

What's wrong with "Anti-Jewish", "Anti-Israel" or just plain "racist"?

09 Mar 2011 13:25 #37 by Pony Soldier

09 Mar 2011 15:40 #38 by kresspin

outdoor338 wrote: Adj. 1. anti-semitic - relating to or characterized by anti-Semitism; hating Jews

What's the term for hating Muslims instead of Jews? Is one worse than the other?

10 Mar 2011 06:10 #39 by lionshead2010

neptunechimney wrote: I do not see why the political orientation of NPR is in any way relevant to the debate on defending them. NPR came about in the days when there were only ABC, NBC, CBS and rabbit ears.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I think it's more than a little "interesting" that Mr. Schiller called NPR National Palestinian Radio but the point above nails it. Regardless of the politics, our elected leaders have to start balancing the budget and national radio sounds like low hanging fruit when we are talking about other cuts which will truly hurt people.

10 Mar 2011 11:21 #40 by kresspin
NPR would be a start in the cuts that don't hurt people. They can support themselves just like other radio networks.

It will be interesting to see what other cuts are proposed by the newer conservative members of congress. It's one thing to campaign on cutting the budget. It's quite another to actually do it. This has been proven time and again.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds