Sedgwick Maine declares local food sovereignty

09 Mar 2011 20:50 #1 by daisypusher

Citing America's Declaration of Independence and the Maine Constitution, the ordinance proposed that "Sedgwick citizens possess the right to produce, process, sell, purchase, and consume local foods of their choosing." These would include raw milk and other dairy products and locally slaughtered meats, among other items.

This isn't just a declaration of preference. The proposed warrant added, "It shall be unlawful for any law or regulation adopted by the state or federal government to interfere with the rights recognized by this Ordinance." In other words, no state licensing requirements prohibiting certain farms from selling dairy products or producing their own chickens for sale to other citizens in the town.

http://www.thecompletepatient.com/journal/2011/3/7/heres-a-way-to-eliminate-the-regulators-and-lawyers-and-buil.html

We may need to create another law enforcement organization. We recently added the Department of Homeland Security, then the Transportation Security Administration, and now we can literally add the Department of Food Law Enforcement.

These Sedgwick people do not know what is good for them, obviously they are ignorant and need educating. :wink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Mar 2011 07:25 #2 by FredHayek
Commerce clause? I would expect this to be overruled. The Supremes decided in one case that a farmer who was growing wheat for his own consumption was still subject to the rules of the Feds.

Personally I would prefer a patchwork of different rules but I can see why the Fed wants to make sure food is safe countrywide.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Mar 2011 07:29 #3 by AspenValley
I'd expect more of this kind of thing to break out. The big food conglomerates have really made it tough for family farms and small-scale food producers to legally sell their products. I hope initiatives like this become widespread, but I am skeptical they will succeed in getting rid of a boatload of laws and regulations already on the books. The food lobbies will fight back hard.

10 Mar 2011 08:28 #4 by FredHayek
Have to agree with AV. Big food conglomerates don't like competition, one way of squeezing out the little guy is to impose costly regulations.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds