OverTaxing Causes Recall in Miami-Dade

16 Mar 2011 09:53 #1 by Nmysys

Miami-Dade Voters Overwhelmingly Choose to Remove Mayor

Published March 16, 2011

| Associated Press

Voters furious with spending decisions and new taxes voted Tuesday to oust Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez.

MIAMI -- Mayor Carlos Alvarez was ousted Tuesday by voters angry over a property tax rate increase and salary raise for county employees in a county struggling to recover from the recession.

With 100 percent of precinct votes counted, 88 percent voted to oust the mayor, making Miami-Dade the most populous area, with more than 2.5 million people, ever to recall a local official. Just 12 percent of the 204,500 who cast ballots were in favor of allowing Alvarez to finish his second term, which ends in 2012.

Alvarez said he was confident the county's professional staff will work hard to ensure a smooth transition to a new administration.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/16/miami-dade-voters-overwhelmingly-choose-remove-mayor/#ixzz1GmJSc09m

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Mar 2011 10:32 #2 by BearMtnHIB

Just 12 percent of the 204,500 who cast ballots were in favor of allowing Alvarez to finish his second term, which ends in 2012.

And that 12% - was probably the county employees who received a raise on the backs of the 88%.

We need more recall elections like this - kick the bums out.

16 Mar 2011 12:13 #3 by noneya BIZ
I believe that Miami-Dade went after 4 or 5 Commissioners too.. Don't know if it was over taxes or not tho.... It's just time to CLEAN it ALL up!!

16 Mar 2011 12:25 #4 by Grady

noneya BIZ wrote: It's just time to CLEAN it ALL up!!

:like:

16 Mar 2011 12:35 #5 by Blazer Bob
I think it is worth noting that the mayor is a republican.

16 Mar 2011 13:00 #6 by Nmysys
I agree Neptune. It is worth noting that there are Republicans that, we in the Tea Party call Rhinos, that need to be aware of the wishes of the People.

This is one of my wishes.

Subject: solution for Libya

Solution to the problem in Libya: They want a new Muslim leader,

I say give them ours.

Solves 2 problems

16 Mar 2011 13:25 #7 by BearMtnHIB
He may have been a republican - but it does not sound like he was much of a conservative when he was raising taxes to pay county government employees more money while the taxpayers are trying to get by with less.

It may be hard for a democrat to get elected in Miami since most American Cubans are republicans. They (American Cubans) are pretty conservative - anti-communists as a result of Castro.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds