DOJ Forcing Dayton PD to Accept Failures

16 Mar 2011 16:05 #2 by Photo-fish
About as safe as when some of the armed forces did it voluntarily a few years ago.

It's a move required by the U.S. Department of Justice after it says not enough African-Americans passed the exam. Even if they do lower the standards, passing the test with a lower score doesn't exactly increase the chance of getting hired. Until the DOJ steps in again saying there's not enough minorities being hired even though more are passing the exam.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Mar 2011 16:28 #3 by Rick
Only a government job would keep lowering standards in order to manipulate the race and gender mix. A privately owned business would eventually find itself filing bankruptcy using that strategy. But we know that not many government jobs are set up to maximize the bottom line or strive for maximum worker productivity.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Mar 2011 17:00 #4 by ScienceChic
Luckily (or sadly, depending on how you want to look at it) for the Dayton residents, it won't hurt their crappy crime rate having less qualified police around (yes, I went to school near there - we occasionally drove down to Dayton to hit the night clubs). I'm surprised that increasing the rate of African-Americans is their excuse as it's a pretty ethnically balanced city, but also pretty poor. I am absolutely against lowering standards for service personnel, but agree that there needs to be some mechanism in place to help potential recruits improve their qualifications so they can reliably serve. No, I don't know what that could be, or who would pay for it.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 Mar 2011 17:14 #5 by navycpo7
After some of the remarks made by the AG it does not surprize me one bit. My question is (as I do not understand how) how in the hell can the DOJ tell them what they have to do. If everyone takes the same test then it is fair. There was a court case about just this thing, dealing with promotions I believe in the fire department. Eventually the promotions where allowed to go through by the courts.44

I also understand that some good people have trouble with written tests, but give them practicals and they excel.

17 Mar 2011 12:18 #6 by noneya BIZ
Now we know where Park County Resource Officers go!!! rofllol :lol:

17 Mar 2011 13:50 #7 by FredHayek
So once again if a African-American gets hired for the police force because he scored higher than everyone else, people will say he only got the job because they lowered the standards.
I can understand why communities would prefer a multi-ethnic police force, don't want to be seen as invaders of another color who work here but retreat to the suburbs after dark.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Mar 2011 14:56 #8 by Rick
I would be offended if I was a black man. They are basically saying that black/Hispanic people are not as smart as everyone else therefore we need to lower the standards. Just one more way to keep minorities down....I'm sure unintended but thats what will happen in the end. (just like our crappy public school system)

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

17 Mar 2011 18:03 #9 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: there needs to be some mechanism in place to help potential recruits improve their qualifications so they can reliably serve. No, I don't know what that could be, or who would pay for it.

There already is. It is called public education and it is already funded. We just need to make it work right

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds