Texas Bill Would Outlaw Discrimination Against Creationists

16 Mar 2011 21:45 #1 by LadyJazzer

Texas Bill Would Outlaw Discrimination Against Creationists

Unlike many other states, Texas does not ban workplace discrimination based on gender identity, sexual orientation, or marital status. But don't be alarmed; the Lone Star State is working on that whole civil liberties thing. Last week, Republican State Rep. Bill Zedler introduced HB 2454, a bill that would establish new workplace protections for proponents of intelligent design. Here's the key part:

An institution of higher education may not discriminate against or penalize in any manner, especially with regard to employment or academic support, a faculty member or student based on the faculty member's or student's conduct of research relating to the theory of intelligent design or other alternate theories of the origination and development of organisms.

And you thought Berkeley was crazy. On the upside, maybe the University of Texas will be able to help a few of the folks who are falling through Texas' fraying social saftey net. Out of a job? Come up with an elaborate theory about how a flying spaghetti monster created the universe. A tenured professorship awaits.

http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2011 ... eationists

I used to say things like, "...only in Texas"...But the truth is that Texas doesn't have the market cornered on stupidity...But they sure are way out in front of whatever is 2nd.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2011 07:23 #2 by FredHayek
Intelligent design doesn't have to mean creationism. Personally I believe God assisted in the creation of the universe even if it wasn't close to the Bible version.

Actually isn't this bill about religious discrimination and already covered in the US Constitution? Or can private companies continue to discriminate against different religions?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Mar 2011 08:28 #3 by bailey bud
Texas? I would have expected this from Kansas......

I think it's silly to turn to government for protection of intellectual ideas.

If the idea can't stand on its own - it shouldn't stand.....

That's what we call the marketplace of ideas. It's a glorious place.

Incidentally, I support intelligent design. I think it's a legitimate avenue of thought.

However, I don't think it's appropriate to have government dictating which ideas survive/die in academe.

17 Mar 2011 08:34 #4 by bailey bud

SS109 wrote: Personally I believe God assisted in the creation of the universe even if it wasn't close to the Bible version.

"Assisted" would likely get you into trouble with a hard core creationist....
(which I'm not)

The whole idea of "and by the way - God helped things along" is simply not enough of a god for them.

In my own opinion, natural processes alone cannot account for the marvelous diversity and complexity of life.
(even if they were, it would not shake my theology - I think G-d made nature)

I am unwilling to discount the force of nature in explaining our exitence - but even the grandest act of nature falls short of the glory of creation.

17 Mar 2011 10:10 #5 by 2wlady
I believe it's the evolutionists who need protection in Texas.

17 Mar 2011 10:43 #6 by FredHayek

2wlady wrote: I believe it's the evolutionists who need protection in Texas.

lol Texas recently installed a safe zone in the People's Republic of Austin, all non-believers should flee there.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Mar 2011 12:38 #7 by Nmysys

Come up with an elaborate theory about how a flying spaghetti monster created the universe. A tenured professorship awaits.

Looks like someone we know IS covered!

:jk2:

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds