US GI's Denied Purple Heart For Concussions

17 Mar 2011 07:35 #1 by FredHayek
(per NPR today) Some unit commanders wouldn't award purple hearts for soldiers who suffered concussions in combat. Considering most concussion cases can have the casualty return to duty quickly, I don't think these commanders were being insensitive, but considering how many traumatic brain injuries GI's are suffering in modern combat, they should be looked at more closely.
And there seems to be new evidence that NFL players suffer long term effects from concussions many years ago.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2011 08:33 #2 by navycpo7

SS109 wrote: (per NPR today) Some unit commanders wouldn't award purple hearts for soldiers who suffered concussions in combat. Considering most concussion cases can have the casualty return to duty quickly, I don't think these commanders were being insensitive, but considering how many traumatic brain injuries GI's are suffering in modern combat, they should be looked at more closely.
And there seems to be new evidence that NFL players suffer long term effects from concussions many years ago.

My sons first tour in Iraq, his humvee hit a IED, he was up in the turrent when it happened. After a couple of the folks from another vehicle got all the guys out and they came to, they returned to base. A week later he was having problems and went to thier medical outfit, who in turn found the problem and he ended up being medavaced out. He ended up with getting his lower jaw bone rebuilt. This was a direct result of the IED incident. Now it is partial medal in there. He was never awarded the PH nor did he ask for it either, but in his medical record it is documented how why when etc. So not everyone gets the medal. This has been argued about for years. The last one dealt with those with PTSD. Does not fit the wording of medal for awarding it.

17 Mar 2011 08:56 #3 by ComputerBreath
SS: I have posted a link to the DoD Directive that governs eligibility and award of the Purple Heart. Though this directive doesn't specifically rule out concussions, I believe unless there were other wounds acquired during combat, a concussion would likely be treated similar to stitches or a broken bone. Furthermore, if the concussion leads to death or further impairment, the Purple Heart can be awarded at that time, as there is no time limit to nominating and/or awarding someone this prestigious medal.

Understand that I am absolutely not saying in my opinion that some or all of these individuals don't deserve the Purple Heart...what I am saying is that, even though you probably won't find it written anywhere, commanders in all services have probably been given stricter guidance from their service's headquarters (each service has their own criteria for nominating and recommending approval of any DoD awards--the approval is given in D.C.), the further down the chain of command you go, the stricter the guidance and the more subjective the proof that has to be provided, and a lot of times there is a time limit imposed on the lowest-levels that begin this nomination, so if you have exceeded the imposed time limit for nominating the individual, then you have to submit a "late" justification letter.

In the AF, to get a simple decoration nomination from the immediate supervisor to the approver (in this case I'm using the Wing/Installation Commander as the approver), the decoration package is reviewed by an average of 14 people in 8 different functional areas...it very likely could be more people.

I believe these types of injuries are closely scrutinized and aren't awarded the medal because it might "cheapen" the award...not saying it is right, but it is what it is.

I would also like to add that awarding a Purple Heart gives the veteran some extra benefits when they get out. I'm unsure what they are, whether they are monetary or not...but the more awarded, the more money has to leave some government entity.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corr ... 33vol3.pdf

17 Mar 2011 10:48 #4 by Grady

navycpo7 wrote:

SS109 wrote: (per NPR today) Some unit commanders wouldn't award purple hearts for soldiers who suffered concussions in combat. Considering most concussion cases can have the casualty return to duty quickly, I don't think these commanders were being insensitive, but considering how many traumatic brain injuries GI's are suffering in modern combat, they should be looked at more closely.

My sons first tour in Iraq, his humvee hit a IED, he was up in the turrent when it happened. After a couple of the folks from another vehicle got all the guys out and they came to, they returned to base. A week later he was having problems and went to thier medical outfit, who in turn found the problem and he ended up being medavaced out. He ended up with getting his lower jaw bone rebuilt. This was a direct result of the IED incident. Now it is partial medal in there. He was never awarded the PH nor did he ask for it either, but in his medical record it is documented how why when etc. So not everyone gets the medal. This has been argued about for years. The last one dealt with those with PTSD. Does not fit the wording of medal for awarding it.

NCPO Make sure everything is documented, documented, documented!!!! Grady was very lucky as a young Marine, but my dad was a combat wounded Marine in WWII. Because my Mom kept very good records, and documented everything the VA took very good care of my dad even to his last days. Yes there were times they fought the VA but in the end they did well by him.

17 Mar 2011 11:13 #5 by deltamrey
Chief I agree----unless there is other physical damage purple hearts are not wise (degrades real awards)..

I served on the gunline in 'nam and we fired up to 16,000 five inch rounds a deployment and I was on the bridge for much of it
I have hearing loss and possibly multiple concussions - from this and other "fun things". Does not fit the purple heard award. NOW the services could award a "concussion medal" or a hangnail medal or......well you get it I am sure.

17 Mar 2011 11:59 #6 by FredHayek
I was worried about how to state it, but I was also concerned about cheapening the Purple Heart.
If a soldier is thrown from his vehicle by an IED but only really suffers a concussion, I would have no problem awarding him a PH, but I have seen other Purple Hearts awarded but not earned, cough, John Kerry.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Mar 2011 15:43 #7 by ComputerBreath
What about McCarthy???

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds