Feds Want To Control Age Of Driving

17 Mar 2011 16:15 #11 by Grady

ShilohLady wrote: Just watch - they'll find a way to tie the Federal Highway Funds to the requirement... that's how they get the states to do what they want (remember when the 55 mph speed limit was enacted?)

thanks your post made me think of

[youtube:cs4zktfu]
[/youtube:cs4zktfu]

but you are correct that's what the feds do take our money and then only give it back if we play by their rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2011 16:22 #12 by ScienceChic

CriticalBill wrote: I think this has much more to do with global warming/climate change/liberal hysteria ..... I'll bet they think this will help save the planet if they can keep more people off the roads. My 16 year old already has a job and we would now be forced to drive her to work and pick her up...super! You folks in the mountains with young adults will really be screwed.

I've read a lot of global warming websites, books, government and NGO reports and I've never seen a recommendation for changing the driving age. It just wouldn't make a significant difference in GHG levels. Besides, this Congress is so anti-science it's not even funny - the last thing they would do is accept global warming and introduce legislation to mitigate it (have you heard about the EPA bills?).

I don't care who decides the driving age, whether it's states or Feds, I just want whoever's most efficient at it.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

17 Mar 2011 16:24 - 17 Mar 2011 16:34 #13 by Grady

Science Chic wrote: I don't care who decides the driving age, whether it's states or Feds, I just want whoever's most efficient at it.

That leaves out the feds. :biggrin:

the bill's sponsor Rep. Tim Bishop, D-N.Y.,<<<< notice the D after his name, it figures.

17 Mar 2011 16:26 #14 by daisypusher

ShilohLady wrote: Just watch - they'll find a way to tie the Federal Highway Funds to the requirement... that's how they get the states to do what they want (remember when the 55 mph speed limit was enacted?)

You needed to read the article too:

Under the proposed rules, each state will have a three-year window to bring their driving policies in line with the federal standards or face losing up to 10 percent of their federal highway funding.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds