Feds Want To Control Age Of Driving

17 Mar 2011 12:41 #1 by Nmysys
U.S. Lawmakers Weigh Putting Brakes on State Age Limits for Teen Drivers

By Garrett Tenney

Published March 17, 2011

| FoxNews.com

Getting their first driver's license is a seminal moment in the lives of most teenagers. But the federal government -- not the states -- could soon be telling kids when they can get behind the wheel.

Supporters say it will save lives; opponents say it's another example of Washington overreaching its powers and getting involved in the states' business.

"I'm sure there are some people who back these kinds of things that tend to believe they're going to do something good," Michael Boldin, founder of the Tenth Amendment Center, told FoxNews.com. "Are the car crashes caused because Washington, D.C., wasn't giving rules to people? I find that nearly laughable."

Read more: http://foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/17/proposed-federal-law-brakes-state-age-limits-teen-drivers/#ixzz1Gsqe0HS3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2011 13:02 #2 by PrintSmith
I'm guessing that it's been proposed by a Democrat, probably one from the east coast somewhere, though California isn't out of the realm of possibility. Another attempt to consolidate the power of governance into a central government. I'm shocked I tell you, absolutely shocked. :Whistle

17 Mar 2011 13:09 #3 by FredHayek
Don't like this at all, states should have control. They know better local conditions.

North Dakota is so empty, they shouldn't have a problem letting 14 year old kids learn how to drive in rural areas. The Feds moving the driving age closer to the drinking age means that more kids will learn both around the same time, a dangerous combination.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Mar 2011 13:13 #4 by Grady

PrintSmith wrote: I'm guessing that it's been proposed by a Democrat, probably one from the east coast somewhere, though California isn't out of the realm of possibility. Another attempt to consolidate the power of governance into a central government . I'm shocked I tell you, absolutely shocked. :Whistle

I too am shocked !!!!!

Yes I added the highlights to PS's quote

17 Mar 2011 14:09 #5 by daisypusher
This is an end run around for the REAL ID, since many states have not implemented it. A Federal driving license is the prelude a required Federal ID.

17 Mar 2011 14:23 #6 by Blazer Bob

daisypusher wrote: This is an end run around for the REAL ID, since many states have not implemented it. A Federal driving license is the prelude a required Federal ID.

Isn't a SSN a defacto fed ID. I did not get one until I got my first job sometimes in the '60s. Arn't they now issued at birth?

17 Mar 2011 14:31 #7 by daisypusher
If the SS could replace their REAL ID, then they would not be pushing for the REAL ID.

17 Mar 2011 14:50 #8 by Rick
I think this has much more to do with global warming/climate change/liberal hysteria ..... I'll bet they think this will help save the planet if they can keep more people off the roads. My 16 year old already has a job and we would now be forced to drive her to work and pick her up...super! You folks in the mountains with young adults will really be screwed.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

17 Mar 2011 14:56 #9 by daisypusher
I just read the article. The feds are not issuing the licences - so no it is not a prelude to a federal REAL ID. It is just something more for the rebel states to ignore and more fuel to further separate them from the Federal government.

17 Mar 2011 15:50 #10 by ShilohLady
Just watch - they'll find a way to tie the Federal Highway Funds to the requirement... that's how they get the states to do what they want (remember when the 55 mph speed limit was enacted?)

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds