Kill Gadaffi?

17 Mar 2011 18:19 #1 by Blazer Bob
Kill Gadaffi? was created by Blazer Bob
I copied the below from another site. I believe reporting at the time was that Reagan tried to kill him but missed. This is the first I have seen of this alternative. What do you recall?

"Tell me again who the opposition is. Are thy like the people in Iraq and Afghanistan yearning for democracy. Mostly they had never heard of democracy.

I remember well that about six months after the Locherbie 747 bombing the US/Reagan sent a flight of fighter bombers across the Libyan border one night. We blew up a lot of stuff. Killed one of Gadaffi's daughters. There was a video of a US guided bomb being "lasered in" on a large Libyan cargo plane on a tarmac. The operator "painted" the plane right where the wing and fuselage intersect. That is exactly where the bomb landed. On the side of the video screen was a tent. The narrator on the tape said that Gadaffi was believed to be in the tent at the time of the bombing. Message to Muammar: 'All we needed to do was move the laser over 100 yards and you would have been history, bud.' But we are civil and don't kill other heads of state. Muammar got real docile after that.

There are many ways to handle a bad situation - and it is a real bad situation. We lost four or five airmen and a few planes in that raid (circa 1984). Today we have much better guided bombs and those nasty little predator drones. We have an aircraft carrier parked off the 'shores of Tripoli.' I think that we should go barter peace and leave Gadaffi in power, tell him to behave, and have a predator "take out" his right hand man at the first sign of misbehavior - just to show him we mean business. Maybe start having him build schools and forming a Congress/Parliament. You know - slowly moving towards a sane government - or else a few more predators might come calling.

He got real, real docile the last time we went through this. He did. I swear it. Shame that you have to deal with some people that way. I think in the end that more lives will be saved.

Reagan established early on that he meant business and wasn't going to be messed with. The lunatics in the "fringe countries" became much more calm. It is quite natural for the lunatics to test the new ruler - Obama. He really hasn't been put tot he test yet. Now we shall see. He has a lot more choices than Reagan did.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2011 21:05 #2 by kresspin
Replied by kresspin on topic Kill Gadaffi?
It was actually two years BEFORE the Locherbie bombing and was in retaliation for a disco bombing in Germany.

Two servicemen were lost when their plane was shot down over the Med.

No raids were carried out as a result of the Locherbie bombing.

17 Mar 2011 21:27 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Kill Gadaffi?

kresspin wrote: It was actually two years BEFORE the Locherbie bombing and was in retaliation for a disco bombing in Germany.

Two servicemen were lost when their plane was shot down over the Med.

No raids were carried out as a result of the Locherbie bombing.

OK, but my question is, did we miss on purpose?

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds