five-year budget plan

18 Mar 2011 09:19 #1 by Blazer Bob
Washington — Sen. Rand Paul (R., Ky.) unveiled his five-year budget plan on Thursday. Sen. Mike Lee (R., Utah) and Sen. Jim DeMint (R., S.C.) joined Paul at the press conference. Paul’s package axes four federal departments: Commerce, Education, Housing and Urban Development, and Energy. It also repeals Obamacare and requires entitlement form to be implemented by 2016. If enacted, according to Paul’s office, it will reduce federal spending by nearly $4 trillion relative to President Obama’s budget.

“We think that there needs to be an alternative,” Paul said. “While official Washington is sitting on their hands and ignoring the ever-expanding deficit, I am offering a real plan to rein in spending and address the looming debt crisis.” DeMint added: “We can’t balance the budget just by cutting things at the federal level. We have to balance the budget by letting things go. You’ll see that in his budget as you get into the details. There are functions and departments, here at the federal level, that need to be devolved to the states.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/26 ... bert-costa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Mar 2011 09:24 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic five-year budget plan
Wishful thinking at best.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Mar 2011 09:27 #3 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic five-year budget plan
Fiscally, it probably makes a lot of sense. I have some problems with his father's stance on certain things alluded to in this article and because of it I have concerns regarding him as well.

I have to admit that this is impressive for a Freshman.

18 Mar 2011 10:09 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic five-year budget plan
Rand is going against a Republican Congress who can't find 100 billion to cut out of a trillion dollar budget that is 1/3 paid for by debt.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Mar 2011 11:41 #5 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic five-year budget plan

SS109 wrote: Rand is going against a Republican Congress who can't find 100 billion to cut out of a trillion dollar budget that is 1/3 paid for by debt.

Congress is split at the moment 109. Republicans only control the House, and they have voted to approve a budget for the rest of fiscal 2011 that trims $60 Billion from what it would otherwise be, which amounts to nearly that $100 Billion when adjusted for the remaining time that exists. We haven't even gotten to the $1.65 Trillion deficit Obama 2012 budget yet, thanks to a Congress that lacked the fortitude to do their constitutional duty to pass the necessary appropriations prior to the end of that Congress and chose instead to let the next one address the matter.

18 Mar 2011 12:21 #6 by BearMtnHIB
Replied by BearMtnHIB on topic five-year budget plan

Rand is going against a Republican Congress who can't find 100 billion to cut out of a trillion dollar budget that is 1/3 paid for by debt.

Exactly. I don't hear anyone else proposing cuts to the budget. If anyone thinks that cutting 100 billion out of a 3.8 trillion dollar budget is cutting anything more than a few peanuts- oh man are we in trouble.

If this is all they can cut then they have failed.

I have some problems with his father's stance on certain things alluded to in this article and because of it I have concerns regarding him as well.

Did anyone check to see if this poster is a registered Democrat? I'm just sayin.

18 Mar 2011 12:25 #7 by kresspin
Replied by kresspin on topic five-year budget plan
I'm still stuck on the part about "Paul's package..."

18 Mar 2011 13:54 #8 by BearMtnHIB
Replied by BearMtnHIB on topic five-year budget plan
A trillion dollars a year needs to be cut from the budget just to keep things from getting worse.

White House budget director Jacob Lew said in a blog post that "CBO confirms what we already know: current deficits are unacceptably high and if we stay on our current course and do nothing, the fiscal situation will hurt our recovery and hamstring future growth."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/CBO-Obama-understates-apf-1323525507.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=5&asset=&ccode=

18 Mar 2011 14:44 #9 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic five-year budget plan
Hey the Dems think cutting 6 billion is okie dokie! If that's all they think they can cut, this country is doomed if they remain in power. Problem is we'll probably have a couple trillion more added on before these idiots get voted out in 2012.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds