Guild Wants Boycott of Huffington Post

18 Mar 2011 16:04 #1 by Nmysys
Newspaper Guild Calls on Unpaid Writers to Boycott Huffington Post

By Diane Macedo

Published March 18, 2011

| FoxNews.com

The national Newspaper Guild has upped the ante in a strike against the Huffington Post, calling on all unpaid writers to stop contributions to the website.

The 26,000-member union of media workers asked all unpaid contributors on Wednesday to withhold their work in support of a strike launched earlier this year by the art publication Visual Arts Source, whose writers had previously contributed free content to the Post.

"Join us in shining a light on the unprofessional and unethical practices of this company," the Guild wrote in a press release. "Just as we would ask writers to stand fast and not cross a physical picket line, we ask that they honor this electronic picket line."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/18/newspaper-guild-calls-unpaid-writers-boycott-huffington-post/#ixzz1GzW8IpVK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Mar 2011 17:04 #2 by kresspin
So, you're pro union?

18 Mar 2011 17:40 #3 by Nmysys
Are you serious?

There is more to that story than the fact that this particular union wants to boycott The Huffington Post.

Actually I think Unions really served a purpose back when they first started. Today I think Unions have become too powerful.

18 Mar 2011 17:45 #4 by Rick
You mean the Huffington Post is making money off the backs of unpaid workers? Who knew?? rofllol

Now cue the crickets!! :can't hear

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

18 Mar 2011 17:53 #5 by Nmysys
You could hear the surprise in my voice???

18 Mar 2011 20:52 #6 by kresspin

Nmysys wrote: Actually I think Unions really served a purpose back when they first started. Today I think Unions have become too powerful.

You mean like telling people who aren't members what they should do?

Forget the fact it's a left-wing rag..... just think of it from a worker's standpoint.

Think about this: If a budding writer, or recent college graduate can't be hired but wants to get something on his or her resume, how do they do it? Hmmmm?

Perhaps offering a free article, hoping it gets published, will help them more than anything.. They can list it on their resume.

But you want to deny them that choice... either they are paid workers or they shouldn't write.

If you're still having trouble conceptualizing it, think of it in terms of photographers who are trying to break into the biz, offering some of their photographs for free, in hopes they will get published.

18 Mar 2011 21:11 - 18 Mar 2011 21:15 #7 by Residenttroll returns
Shows us how really stupid libtards are....they work for free and then when the company sells they didn't even get a piece of the action. LOL LOL LOL LOL

"We will work for free...because we believe in the cause"....LOL LOL LOL

Now we understand why they like to spend other people's money.....

18 Mar 2011 21:13 #8 by kresspin
As I said, it's probably more a case of trying to get something on their resume. The practice is certainly not limited to one particular liberal website, no matter how much you want it to be.

18 Mar 2011 21:17 #9 by Residenttroll returns

kresspin wrote: As I said, it's probably more a case of trying to get something on their resume. The practice is certainly not limited to one particular liberal website, no matter how much you want it to be.

rofllol rofllol rofllol

20 year newspaper writing veterans....still resume building...... rofllol rofllol rofllol rofllol

18 Mar 2011 21:21 #10 by kresspin
Are you really as stupid as you post or is it just an act?

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds