Florida judge allows case to proceed under Islamic law

20 Mar 2011 12:37 #11 by bailey bud
I am unaware of any part of the three most widely accepted versions of Sharia that would allow a person to sell someone into the sex trade. (it's a mistake to assume there's a single version of Sharia - Islamic jurisprudence has several schools of thought).

I have no issues with two disputing parties informing a judge that they'll work out the civil (non-criminal) dispute using Sharia principles.

I do worry about the potential of a lunatic (read extremist) taking the court case out-of-context --- and trying to invoke his own (radical) version of "Sharia" along with this case as precedant.

I'm sure you can dig up a similar civil case saying that the disputants will work out a case with their pastor/church.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Mar 2011 13:59 #12 by major bean

bailey bud wrote: I am unaware of any part of the three most widely accepted versions of Sharia that would allow a person to sell someone into the sex trade. (it's a mistake to assume there's a single version of Sharia - Islamic jurisprudence has several schools of thought).

Then you are totally naive about how wives are acquired in the middle east and east.

Regards,
Major Bean

20 Mar 2011 16:02 #13 by Obam me

I am unaware of any part of the three most widely accepted versions of Sharia that would allow a person to sell someone into the sex trade. (it's a mistake to assume there's a single version of Sharia - Islamic jurisprudence has several schools of thought).

[youtube:1ldooh6o]
[/youtube:1ldooh6o]

I don't get you BaileyBud. What part of the video above do you not get? And why in the world do you continue to support ANY version of it???

I'd truly be interested in seeing the various versions of Sharia you mentioned.

From what I can tell there's only ONE version being used in Europe. So why would we think it would be any different here?

20 Mar 2011 16:23 #14 by bailey bud

major bean wrote: Then you are totally naive about how wives are acquired in the middle east and east.

I lived in the middle east for 4 years, attended 3 weddings (all Muslim) - and watched my assistant (Christian Indian) have her family search for a groom.

I know how marriages are made - they're arranged by families.

Some families are highly concerned about money - so they "sell" their daughters to the man who offers the most generous dowery.

That said - as education grows - and pension/retirement schemes grow in the east - these issues are less common.

(the issues emerged from the fact that without any pension/retirement structures, families used offspring - which was their sole asset)

The issues you're seeing have more to do with the stage of development of the 10/40 region --- than the religion. You'll see all kinds of families offering to broker their daughters to the highest bidder (I've seen it in Russia and Romania, as well).

Any other knowledge you care to question?

20 Mar 2011 16:27 #15 by Obam me

I have no issues with two disputing parties informing a judge that they'll work out the civil (non-criminal) dispute using Sharia principles.

Well, Bailey Bud I have HUGE issues allowing Sharia in ANY US Court. You minimize it and I just don't understand how you can't see that this is their foot in the door. The woman in the video below calls it "creeping sharia". I think it perfectly defines exactly what's going on here in the US.

[youtube:27dsspjo]
[/youtube:27dsspjo]

20 Mar 2011 16:29 #16 by Obam me
Still waiting to see your "versions" of sharia. Sources please.

20 Mar 2011 16:36 #17 by bailey bud
Trouble ---- The versions of Islamic jurisprudence include:

Shafi'i, Hanifi, Maliki, and Hanbali (I stand corrected - there's 4 prominent schools of thought)

Most of my exposure is to the Maliki school, since that was the prevailing school of thought in the UAE.

(The Hanifi version is more widely observed)

20 Mar 2011 16:55 #18 by Obam me
Specifically, what differentiates these versions from the sharia that is currently being used in Europe? Why are the Europeans warning us about the creeping sharia?

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds