16YO Solo Sailor Lost At Sea?

10 Jun 2010 15:04 #1 by FredHayek
:crossed: Hopefully they find her safe, but I think it is dangerous to send these young kids to sea alone trying to break a record for the youngest to cross the ocean.

Then again, are we getting too wimpy? In the 19th century, boys as young as 12 were sailing across the ocean as crewmembers on creaky wooden vessels. I am sure they were more likely to die or be seriously injured than the modern solo sailors with GPS, radios, and support staff.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2010 01:26 #2 by RCCL
Replied by RCCL on topic 16YO Solo Sailor Lost At Sea?
It was reported on her (and her family's?) blog this morning that she has been found and contacted. The mast on the ship broke, but she is otherwise unscathed. Rescue ships are on the way:

http://soloround.blogspot.com/2010/06/abby-is-fine.html
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/11/se ... -lost-sea/

11 Jun 2010 06:44 #3 by Wayne Harrison

SS109 wrote: :crossed: Hopefully they find her safe, but I think it is dangerous to send these young kids to sea alone trying to break a record for the youngest to cross the ocean.

As her parents pointed out, it is just as dangerous for a teenager driving down the street in a car. Should they keep her from driving?

Her brother completed a circumnavigation of the globe at 17. It runs in the family.

11 Jun 2010 07:30 #4 by FredHayek
I don't believe driving down the street is just as dangerous, but it is a lot safer than it used to be.
Glad to hear she is safe.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

11 Jun 2010 09:17 #5 by Sunshine Girl
Great news that she is alive and well. Couldn't they helicopter in to get her instead of waiting 40 hours by boat?

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

11 Jun 2010 09:20 #6 by archer
Judging from the map I saw on the news this morning, she was smack in the middle of the Indian Ocean....too far from any land for a helicopter.

11 Jun 2010 09:21 #7 by Wayne Harrison
The airbus that flew out to talk to her by marine radio made a 4,700 mile round trip from Perth, Australia -- near the limit of its range. Definitely out of of helicopter range. (for comparison, it's 2,600 miles from New York to LA)

11 Jun 2010 09:51 #8 by AspenValley
If my kid had some burning desire to do something really dangerous I would tell them they were welcome to do it....the day they turn 18.

11 Jun 2010 10:18 #9 by Sunshine Girl

archer wrote: Judging from the map I saw on the news this morning, she was smack in the middle of the Indian Ocean....too far from any land for a helicopter.

I was afraid of that.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

11 Jun 2010 10:21 #10 by Rockdoc
Personally, I would not hesitate giving my kids responsibility that tested their limits. In all such endeavors, there is advanced training. It is not like she did this on a whim. With training comes confidence as well as respect for the task undertaken. While we unexperienced may look at a solo sailing voyage with trepidation if not outright fear, this young lady does not seem to be fazed. As a diver, I'm keenly aware of the ocean's might. I do not fear the ocean, but respect it.

Different strokes for different folks. That is ok. Some are greater risk takers than others, so this story is bound to raise controversial views of what is right and wrong. Ultimately, it resides with the individual and their trusted friends and family.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds