16YO Solo Sailor Lost At Sea?

11 Jun 2010 10:24 #11 by Sunshine Girl

AspenValley wrote: If my kid had some burning desire to do something really dangerous I would tell them they were welcome to do it....the day they turn 18.

:thumbsup: Franz and I completely disagree on this issue. I know she has some experience and training, but as a mother and the one that is supposed to protect you to the best of my ability, I would say 18 as well. Breaking a record is not more important than my child's life. Maybe to some it doesn't matter. Their brains are not as fully developed as an adult to make that decision. She easily could have died (maybe to never have her remains recovered) and still not have BEAT THE PRECIOUS RECORD. How would her parents have felt then. There are way too many unknowns, including Mother Nature out there to put your child in harm's way. This wasn't just for sport, it was to break a record to be the youngest one to do it. I hope they get to her in time and she's ok. :heart:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2010 15:56 #12 by bailey bud
I'd give almost anything for the opportunity to make a name for myself ---- Looks like she would, as well.

One of my sons likes gliding/soaring. If he told me that he wanted to set a distance record in a glider (he hasn't), I'd tell him to go for it (find a sponsor other than family, first). If he trains and masters his craft - it'd be fine by me --- risk and all.

I think risk is a good thing. We live in a spoiled, pampered society that seems to think it's a 4-letter word....

11 Jun 2010 22:46 #13 by Pony Soldier
Pampering kids as young adults will only lead to wimpy adults. If they don't take chances while they are young, they will never learn to deal with adversity.

12 Jun 2010 03:41 #14 by Rockdoc
Interesting. Is this a gender difference issue? I see many women would rather not subject or even allow their kids to take huge risks whereas the opposing view comes from the males. We could take that view point to the mars men venus women thread to explore. I'd find that most interesting.

12 Jun 2010 06:22 #15 by Sunshine Girl
That is an interesting correlation Doc. Maybe it's the protective and nurturing part of women. Great observation!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

12 Jun 2010 07:21 #16 by bailey bud
mars/venus thing, perhaps

12 Jun 2010 07:36 #17 by Wayne Harrison
She's been rescued. They'll likely sink her sailboat. No telling when she'll get home because she was picked up by a working fishing vessel, but a least she's safe.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" www.285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1154&p=10501#p10501 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1154&p=10501#p10501<!-- l -->

12 Jun 2010 07:54 #18 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic 16YO Solo Sailor Lost At Sea?
From the beginning, I thought this was child endangerment.

The excuse that , it is just as dangerous for a teenager driving down the street in a car. Is ridiculous.

12 Jun 2010 08:36 #19 by Sunshine Girl

Wayne Harrison wrote: She's been rescued. They'll likely sink her sailboat. No telling when she'll get home because she was picked up by a working fishing vessel, but a least she's safe.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" www.285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1154&p=10501#p10501 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1154&p=10501#p10501<!-- l -->

:woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :woo hoo:

12 Jun 2010 09:00 #20 by Rockdoc
Never and doubt in my mind that she would be. A broken mast does not make for sinking problems, only navigation. In case of sough seas that require the sailboat to be pointing into the waves, I bet she had a inboard motor she could have used had such an emergency appeared. Aside from rouge waves and tropical storms, pirates or drug runners are the biggest worry in blue water sailing.

Years ago I had visions of sailing around the world to conduct reef ecology studies. Normally I make dreams happen, this one will remain a dream, but I've already moved on and no longer have the insatiable SCUBA drive.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds