Fire Season. Does your horse load?

04 Apr 2011 08:19 #1 by LopingAlong
Since this year is shaping up to be another bad fire-potential year, it seems the prudent thing to do is to be ready in the event your animals need to evacuated whether that is by you or by someone else. At the time of mandatory evacuation, it is likely you will be more concerned about other things; children, small animals, personal items, etc.

Do you have a plan for your large animals evacuation in place? Are halters with names, descriptions and order of loading readily apparent in your barn in the event an animal evacuation organization is called in? Have you trained your horses to load into a trailer?

For anyone who hasn't trained their horses, I will come help you (with my trailer if you don't have one) and if you have neighbors who also need help and can line them up, I'll work with all of you and all of your horses too. I can't afford to do this for nothing, but am happy to 'Almost Donate' the time needed. For a neighborhood group, $35 a horse a day and if you have more than 3 horses, knock that down to $25 per horse. I can work with as many as 10 or 12 horses if they have never been loaded or haven't been loaded in a long time, and 4-6 horses if they are the kind that say, "No thank you, I hate trailers."

Please contact me here or call me at 303 579 5401 to set up your training day. If you are a single horse owner, it won't or shouldn't, take the entire day but please allow for the time needed to train the horse properly.

Don't be caught off-guard with animals that won't load.
Don't think turning them loose is a good idea--horses do not know to run away and often times will simply go to their stall for safety. Besides, with all the barbed wire around here, it's more likely he'll get caught up in wire and shred himself...not a great plan!
It's not always the fire that kills them, the smoke inhalation for them is just like it is for us.
If you choose to not train your horse, remember: If you can get out, you can lead a horse or 2 or even 6 out with you.

Contact me if you'd like to train your horse to load in the even he needs to be evacuated. I am a member of the Front Range Animal Evacuation Team and kowing where your horses live and who they are is an added bonus!

Tanya Buck
[url=http://www.TanyaBuck.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.TanyaBuck.com[/url]
303 838 5791

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds