One of my dogs has gone deaf

12 Jun 2010 09:31 #1 by JMC
He is 11 and has slowly lost his hearing. I have always let him roam on my property ( he never strays) but now he can't hear me call or give a command. I can use hand signals in the house but they are not working outside. Has anyone tried a vibrating collar? He loves to hike with me now I'm afraid to take him along

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jun 2010 09:33 #2 by LopingAlong
J--I also have a dog who's mostly deaf now at age 14. He is also about 95% blind in both eyes. I just touch him and stay with him. I hadn't thought of the collar. I have one, maybe I'll try it. Thing is, with him, he'd feel the vibration and not know what to do since he can't see me. I don't think that's going to work for my Cosby, but you are welcome to try it with your dog if you want. I think that is a great idea.

12 Jun 2010 09:40 #3 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic One of my dogs has gone deaf
My guy is a chow hound , I think if he learned to associate the vibration with food,that it might work. I may take you up on your offer unless somebody has a better idea. Thanks

12 Jun 2010 09:57 #4 by LopingAlong
Anytime, just let me know.

14 Jun 2010 17:05 #5 by RivendaleFarms
I think you're right, if he gets the vibration then a treat he'll figure it out in no time. Great idea!

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

15 Jun 2010 15:19 #6 by pound dog mom
I think everyone has a great idea with the collar and food. Most dogs learn so fast if it involves a treat. Good luck.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds