Wild horses: Plan to sterilize Wyoming herds

22 Jun 2011 18:34 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Wild horses: Plan to sterilize Wyoming herds was created by CinnamonGirl
Wild horses: Plan to sterilize Wyoming herds triggers protests

Read more... http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/20 ... rotest.php

​Outraged by a federal plan to manage two Wyoming herds of wild horses into oblivion by sterilizing hundreds of mares, activists will gather outside a public hearing at the Bureau of Land Management field office in Rock Springs tonight to denounce the large-scale "experimental surgery" -- the latest flashpoint in an escalating battle over the future of the West's wild mustang population.
The BLM plan (a summary can be found here, the environmental assessment here) calls for rounding up around one thousand horses from the White Mountain and Little Colorado management areas and returning only about a third of them to the range -- with all of the returned mares being spayed. The horses would be managed as "non-reproducing herds," presumably until they died out -- although the plan leaves open the possibility that horses from other (sterile?) herds might be introduced to keep the population stable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jun 2011 19:41 #2 by mountaindollar
Sad, I have seen many of these horses in the wild and they are beyond words.

22 Jun 2011 22:09 #3 by The Viking
My question is why don't they just do this with our congressmen? It would save a lot of scandals!

23 Jun 2011 07:32 #4 by LopingAlong
See? The thing is, the cost of spaying a mare is about 20 times that of gelding a stallion. Tells me men are surely the ones who came up with this plan. The neutering part is good, but really, the mares??? Come on! My theory is, they do this so then they can come back and say, yep, it's just too expensive to neuter, so we'll stick with just killing them off. Idiots.

15 Jul 2011 14:23 #5 by Sugar Lady
Replied by Sugar Lady on topic Wild horses: Plan to sterilize Wyoming herds
:yeahthat:
This is awful !!!!!!
But ya know like the song says "it's a mans world".

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds