any suggestions??

28 Jun 2011 17:09 #1 by MoCat
any suggestions?? was created by MoCat
my three year old spayed female has recently decided to urinate a foot away from the litter box. never had any problems with her before ( had her for almost a year), not sure if it is a medical or behavior problem. it is almost like she is afraid to use the litter box, maybe another litter box would help as i do have other cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jun 2011 18:07 #2 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic any suggestions??
Cats often hate to share litter boxes. You should always have one more litter box than cats. Even then an agressive cat might deliberately soil them all. Also some cats hate scented litter. I'd add a new box with unscented litter and also have her checked out by a vet. She might have a bladder infection.

28 Jun 2011 18:39 #3 by MoCat
Replied by MoCat on topic any suggestions??
She has a vet apppointment for friday, as i think she is drinking a lot more water than usual. or maybe she is upset about the gray cat hanging out on the porch (neighbors cat i think)

30 Jun 2011 09:22 #4 by Amy Murdock DVM
Replied by Amy Murdock DVM on topic any suggestions??
I totally know what you mean, that is always the dilema when a cat starts urinating outside the box, behavioral vs. medical. Yes, I definately think another littler box would help you rule out whether it is a another cat making her nervous to be inside the litter box (like you mentioned). Or if you add another littler box and the problem persists it's more likely to be behavioral. Once a cat urinates in one specific area, especially if it is on carpet, it's hard to get them to stop. I would also use a carpet cleaner designed to get the urine/ammonia smell out (urine off or anti-icky-poo are 2 products I have used before with sucess) so the cat won't urinate there again.
If she is still urinating outside the box we can do an exam and get a urine sample to see if there is a urinary tract infection.

Hope this helps! Let me know if it is still a problem.
Amy Murdock

30 Jun 2011 16:26 #5 by MoCat
Replied by MoCat on topic any suggestions??
I got her another litter box without a cover, so she doesn't feel trapped and that seems to be working.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds