Growing fruit trees in High Altitude

29 Jul 2011 16:25 #1 by CinnamonGirl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jul 2011 18:10 #2 by MamaRama
CG we planted some Chokecherry bushes we brought back from the Steamboat area that are so far doing good and hopefully we will have fruit in a couple years!!

29 Jul 2011 21:20 #3 by pacamom
Chokecherry does really well up here. There are also some great apple trees along Pleasant Park Rd.

29 Jul 2011 21:33 #4 by otisptoadwater
Is anyone worried about the potential to attract bears? My brother has a cherry tree and two apple trees down in Littleton but most of the time the birds and the bugs ruin the fruit before he can harvest them.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

06 Aug 2011 16:15 - 06 Aug 2011 16:49 #5 by Sugar Lady
Replied by Sugar Lady on topic Growing fruit trees in High Altitude
We have a 7ft. fence around the trees (apple cherry and plum. Bear comes here every once in awhile and he has never bothered the trees or our garden. Oh yes they all had fruit this year.
I would think if the bear comes we would run him off just like any other time.
Persistence is the key. Bear doesn't like people messing with him when he visits, we make noise, turn on lights and on occasion use rubber bullets. Bear goes to some other house where the people are more interested in sleeping then protecting the garden.
Its a win win
We get to tell bear stories and he finds a new place to have dinner.

06 Aug 2011 16:20 #6 by AspenValley

Sugar Lady wrote: We have a 7ft. fence around the trees (apple cherry and plum. Bear comes here every once in awhile and he has never bothered the trees or our garden. Oh yes they all had fruit this year.
Persistence is the key. Bear doesn't like people messing with him he visits, we make noise, turn on lights and on occasion use rubber bullets. Bear goes to some other house where the people are more interested in sleeping then protecting the garden.
Its a win win

Whereabouts are you located? Altitude? I've been thinking about fruit trees but I'm skeptical about their success.

06 Aug 2011 17:01 #7 by Sugar Lady
Replied by Sugar Lady on topic Growing fruit trees in High Altitude

AspenValley wrote:

Sugar Lady wrote: We have a 7ft. fence around the trees (apple cherry and plum. Bear comes here every once in awhile and he has never bothered the trees or our garden. Oh yes they all had fruit this year.
Persistence is the key. Bear doesn't like people messing with him he visits, we make noise, turn on lights and on occasion use rubber bullets. Bear goes to some other house where the people are more interested in sleeping then protecting the garden.
Its a win win

Whereabouts are you located? Altitude? I've been thinking about fruit trees but I'm skeptical about their success.

We are at about 8000 ft.
We live in lost acres about 7 miles from Bailey out co rd 68
I got my trees from the Bailey garden Center about 5 years ago it took them forever to put on fruit.
The trees in front of the garden center are fruit trees and had big apples the year I got mine.I don't know how they do from year to year but they where big that year.
I have friends that have cherry trees on Foxton Rd. They get fruit.

06 Aug 2011 18:42 #8 by AspenValley

Sugar Lady wrote:

AspenValley wrote:

Its a win win

We are at about 8000 ft.
We live in lost acres about 7 miles from Bailey out co rd 68
I got my trees from the Bailey garden Center about 5 years ago it took them forever to put on fruit.
The trees in front of the garden center are fruit trees and had big apples the year I got mine.I don't know how they do from year to year but they where big that year.
I have friends that have cherry trees on Foxton Rd. They get fruit.

Thanks for the info, Sugar Lady! I may give fruit trees a try next year. I'm a little higher than you, about 8300 I think but I seem to be in kind of a banana belt. Worth a try, maybe.

Do you have any idea of the varieties you have?

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds