What Not To...

29 Jun 2010 23:17 - 15 Apr 2011 06:08 #1 by DavisRanch
What Not To... was created by DavisRanch
Buying your first horse is so much fun! You get to shop and fall in love all at the same time. But the wrong horse can ruin the fun of horseback riding or may end in disaster.

Here are ten of the top mistakes that new horse buyers make.

1. Buying an untrained horse.

There is an old saying, “Green on green makes black and blue.” When beginner riders choose untrained horses thinking they’ll “Learn together” it is a recipe for true heartache instead of true love. Don’t buy a horse that you plan to train yourself or even send to a trainer for the months or even years that may be needed to end up with that perfect horse. Beginners will be safer and happier with a horse they can enjoy the moment it gets off the trailer.

2. Turning down older horses.

Another saying is “Your first horse should be old and ugly and safe.” I don’t know that they need be ugly, but they sure don’t need to be beautiful. An older horse, who knows what the world is like makes a great first time beginner horse. Beginners might shy away from a horse into their late teens and twenties. But many healthy, sound horses can be ridden well into their senior years. In fact, light daily exercise, such as a quiet hack or drive may be beneficial to both horse and rider/driver.

3. Buying a young horse for their children to ‘grow up with’.

Safety, people, safety! You’re putting your child or your husband or yourself on a 1200 pound animal that has a mind of his own andis hardwired to react to his environment. Horses need a leader and if you are not it, he will be. The reality is that young horses and young beginner riders are not a safe mix. Buy a horse that knows how to handle himself because a young beginner won’t know how.

4. Buying at Auction.

Ethical behavior at the auctions is not the norm. Horses can appear docile at auction because they are so confused they ‘freeze’. Horses can be drugged to make them look calm or healthy. And you won’t know it until you have the horse home, your check long-ago cashed.

5. Impulse buying.

Try the horse out, then go back and try him out again, and ask lots of questions. Look at other horses besides the one you think you want and make comparisons, make a list and check it twice—pros and cons. Get help from a trainer as to suitability of the horse for what you want to do. Get a veterinarian to check the horse’s soundness and health.

6.Taking a FREE horse.

So what if he's not perfect, he's free! Free is not the best price. Usually a free horse has some reason for not having a pricetag. Sure, they exist, but look long and hard before jumping in. An unsound free horse that you can't ride costs the same to keep as a sound horse that you paid for. Get the history, the reason for him being free and get that vet check and trainer's help.

7. Buying a Horse to Breed

Please. If you are a beginner, don’t even go here. There are too many horses in the US right now and breeding by someone who is not experienced is just a crime in my opinion. If you want a horse, buy one so you can see what you're getting.

8. Buying “Too Much Horse”.

Buy the horse you can ride today. Not in a year, today. Don’t’ think the high-stepping, high-headed pretty one is the best one for you because he looks like he’s got ‘spirit’. Buy the horse you feel comfortable with. Even if he is old and ugly.

9. Buying a Horse of a Particular Color

Pretty is as pretty does. Beginners love spots, palominos, buckskins and blacks. When buying a car, “You don’t drive the paint” and with horses, you don’t ride the color. Color truly is the last thing of importance.

10. Not Considering the Time and Expense of Horse Care

Horse ownership is not to be taken lightly. Horses don’t stop eating and drinking on the weekend when you want to go away or in the winter when you can’t ride without freezing your toes off. The expenses don’t stop because you want new shoes for yourself, or because you've lost your job. Be honest about the time and money you are able to spend on a horse.

Fall in love with the right horse that makes your horse-ownership experience a good one that is full of fun and safety!

$50 Discount for Horse Evaluation with mention of this article and [url=http://www.285Bound.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.285Bound.com[/url] from Tanya Buck, [url=http://www.TanyaBuck.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.TanyaBuck.com[/url] [email . ;/i]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jun 2010 19:51 #2 by Namu
Replied by Namu on topic What Not To...
I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, most people do not realize what they're getting into when they buy a horse. It's a big purchase and responsibility, so you should always make sure you do your homework.

Namu

01 Jul 2010 10:57 #3 by RivendaleFarms
Replied by RivendaleFarms on topic What Not To...
Tanya, what a great article and terrific information - thank you! We would like to add horses down the road and you've definitely brought up some things here I wouldn't have thought of.

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

01 Jul 2010 11:05 #4 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic What Not To...
When you're ready, RF, let me know. There are more things on that list, but I couldn't go on forever now, could I? And since you helped with hay last week end, I owe you a return favor anyway! I do have a nice filly here... :)

01 Jul 2010 13:29 #5 by RivendaleFarms
Replied by RivendaleFarms on topic What Not To...
Don't tempt me, you wicked woman!! (When we're ready, though, you'll be the first to know!) :biggrin:

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

05 Jul 2010 13:18 #6 by Leticia German DVM
Replied by Leticia German DVM on topic What Not To...
Great article :thumbsup: . I would like to reinforce having a pre-purchase exam done by a trusted veterinarian. Just like buying a used car you have the mechanic look it over first. It is amazing how many conditions can be found, discussed, and addressed ahead of time. Be informed and know what you are getting into. It is one of a vet's worst nightmares (mine anyway) to tell a new horse owner that their new horse has major problems.

05 Jul 2010 13:48 #7 by Blondie
Replied by Blondie on topic What Not To...

Another saying is “Your first horse should be old and ugly and safe.” I don’t know that they need be ugly, but they sure don’t need to be beautiful. An older horse, who knows what the world is like makes a great first time beginner horse. Beginners might shy away from a horse into their late teens and twenties. But many healthy, sound horses can be ridden well into their senior years. In fact, light daily exercise, such as a quiet hack or drive may be beneficial to both horse and rider/driver.

Our first horse was old (10), ugly and safe. But beautiful in the eyes of an 8 year old. He was a dude string horse, with just enough spirit, on occasion, to disqualify him for the job. I remember him standing there patiently, while I struggled to get a saddle on him, with the pad in place. Things ended up crooked often enough, but I had to do it before the owner of the stable would come and rearrange things. He got very sick the first year, despite a vet check, mostly we could just lead him around, and that was a good as riding. He served us well for many years.

Hail Ned

05 Jul 2010 18:20 #8 by Sunshine Girl
Replied by Sunshine Girl on topic What Not To...

DavisRanch wrote: Buying your first horse is so much fun! You get to shop and fall in love all at the same time. But the wrong horse can ruin the fun of horseback riding or may end in disaster.

Here are ten of the top mistakes that new horse buyers make.

1. Buying an untrained horse.

There is an old saying, “Green on green makes black and blue.” When beginner riders choose untrained horses thinking they’ll “Learn together” it is a recipe for true heartache instead of true love. Don’t buy a horse that you plan to train yourself or even send to a trainer for the months or even years that may be needed to end up with that perfect horse. Beginners will be safer and happier with a horse they can enjoy the moment it gets off the trailer.

I couldn't agree with this more! The greener horses will require many hours of work just to teach them how to trailer much less anything else. This should be saved for someone who has the time and expertise to devote to a green horse.

One of my favorite horses that I had was an older Quarter Horse mare named Wendy. She was the sweetest animal you could ever want. She never spooked and was a great trail horse. Some of my favorite memories were coming home after school and riding bareback to a girlfriends house. Then my friend and I would go to the local corner store for some 10 cent candy and tie Wendy up to the hitching post. Yep, that was when Scottsdale, AZ was a REAL western town. :) ))) She was older, but so loving and gentle.

3. Buying a young horse for their children to ‘grow up with’.

Safety, people, safety! You’re putting your child or your husband or yourself on a 1200 pound animal that has a mind of his own andis hardwired to react to his environment. Horses need a leader and if you are not it, he will be. The reality is that young horses and young beginner riders are not a safe mix. Buy a horse that knows how to handle himself because a young beginner won’t know how.

NOT the best idea agreed. See above. ; )

4. Buying at Auction.

Ethical behavior at the auctions is not the norm. Horses can appear docile at auction because they are so confused they ‘freeze’. Horses can be drugged to make them look calm or healthy. And you won’t know it until you have the horse home, your check long-ago cashed.

We NEVER bought a horse at an auction for this above reason!

5. Impulse buying.

Try the horse out, then go back and try him out again, and ask lots of questions. Look at other horses besides the one you think you want and make comparisons, make a list and check it twice—pros and cons. Get help from a trainer as to suitability of the horse for what you want to do. Get a veterinarian to check the horse’s soundness and health.

Once-in-a-while my parents did buy horses on impulse. I remember two occasions. Once my dad bought a horse for my mom for their wedding anniversary. I still remember her name, Burula's Gold. She had one blue eye and one brown eye. She was very sweet. My dad didn't really know as much about horses as my mom, but he did ok. I remember two that were impulse buys that WERE NOT my favorites though. LOL All in all - not a good idea.

6.Taking a FREE horse.

So what if he's not perfect, he's free! Free is not the best price. Usually a free horse has some reason for not having a pricetag. Sure, they exist, but look long and hard before jumping in. An unsound free horse that you can't ride costs the same to keep as a sound horse that you paid for. Get the history, the reason for him being free and get that vet check and trainer's help.

You know the saying, "You get what you pay for?" This couldn't be truer when buying a horse or a car. If it sounds too good to be true it just might be. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get a vet check. Same goes when buying a car that you should always have a mechanic look at a used car. IT WILL be some of the best money you'll ever spend.

7. Buying a Horse to Breed

Please. If you are a beginner, don’t even go here. There are too many horses in the US right now and breeding by someone who is not experienced is just a crime in my opinion. If you want a horse, buy one so you can see what you're getting.

Amen! It can also be very expensive to breed. No need at all.

8. Buying “Too Much Horse”.

Buy the horse you can ride today. Not in a year, today. Don’t’ think the high-stepping, high-headed pretty one is the best one for you because he looks like he’s got ‘spirit’. Buy the horse you feel comfortable with. Even if he is old and ugly.

This is soooo true! You'll have many happy years ahead of you if you follow this rule. My show horse Special Kellogg+ was the best horse a girl could ask for to show - high-stepping, high-headed, handsome, and spirited Arabian! He was a handful and always kept me on my toes. You kinda needed to be a step ahead of him to make sure you didn't land on the ground (and I only say that with total love, appreciation, and respect for him). xoxoxo Was he the best choice to take out in the desert on a pleasure ride? No. Wendy was though.

9. Buying a Horse of a Particular Color

Pretty is as pretty does. Beginners love spots, palominos, buckskins and blacks. When buying a car, “You don’t drive the paint” and with horses, you don’t ride the color. Color truly is the last thing of importance.

We NEVER bought horses according to this. Great tip! Here's another.....when my parents were buying show horses for us kids we traveled all over the country looking. The most important thing they did was to make sure we got to spend enough time with the horse to see what we thought of each other. That's right - a good bonding experience goes BOTH ways. They have to feel it for you as well. No sense forcing a fit that just isn't meant to be. My sister went all the way to Canada to find her PERFECT fit. I went to CA and spent a few days making sure that Special and I were the right ones for each other. In each case of my and my siblings case we were each lucky enough to find our perfect fit. Be willing to take the time and meet enough horses to find your special one.

10. Not Considering the Time and Expense of Horse Care

Horse ownership is not to be taken lightly. Horses don’t stop eating and drinking on the weekend when you want to go away or in the winter when you can’t ride without freezing your toes off. The expenses don’t stop because you want new shoes for yourself, or because you've lost your job. Be honest about the time and money you are able to spend on a horse.

Fall in love with the right horse that makes your horse-ownership experience a good one that is full of fun and safety!

Don't underestimate the expense because it's huge! In our house they ate before you did and they were cared for very well. It is a lot of work. If I never have to muck out another stall I'll be happy. haha

$50 Discount for Horse Evaluation with mention of this article and [url=http://www.285Bound.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.285Bound.com[/url] from Tanya Buck, [url=http://www.TanyaBuck.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.TanyaBuck.com[/url] 720 308-6408

Take her up on this offer. Wonderful job Tanya!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds