30 Jun 2010 15:00 #1 by FoothillsRealtor
Composting was created by FoothillsRealtor
not only good for the environment; it can save time and money

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... -5F0dwccEA

Sophia S Paul, Broker Associate
Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jun 2010 20:32 #2 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Composting

FoothillsRealtor wrote: ...
not only good for the environment; it can save time and money

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... -5F0dwccEA

Composting in NY does not even require a composting bin as shown. Just throw the stuff in pile and within half a year you have some great rich soil. We did that throughout the years when I was growing up there.

My question here is will it work without a lot of work? Composting requires significant moisture and I suspect you would have to water the composting pile regularly. Anyone doing this up here?

01 Jul 2010 08:14 #3 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Composting
If you compost in an enclosed container (plastic garbage can) it doesn't dry out so fast.

01 Jul 2010 08:51 #4 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic Composting
I had a large compost tumbler when we lived in Arvada. Put all my grass clippings in there, mixed with dead leaves I collected in neighborhoods. Made lots of compost. You could see it steaming through the vents on chilly mornings.

When we moved up here, I tried making compost with it and it never worked, for some reason. I finally gave it to a friend.

01 Jul 2010 16:40 #5 by FoothillsRealtor
Replied by FoothillsRealtor on topic Composting
I've been composting everywhere I lived so far. Where I am now its the most difficult because it is so dry, but wrapping plastic around helps a lot, just opening it up when it rains, or watering it occasionally helps. Also, I layer with horse manure, dry garden stuff and moist veggie peelings, coffee ground, tea etc. Never, ever put any meatscraps in your compost. that will only attract all kinds of animals. I have never had a problem with that ever by just using plant material and manure.
Best would be to place the compost bin under trees or in the shade that helps a lot.

Sophia S Paul, Broker Associate
Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds