Plant Swap and Sale This Year???

05 May 2012 16:50 #1 by TillerBee
This topic started on Pinecam but I thought that the gardeners over here might be interested in joining in. Pinecam is NOT sponsoring or having anything to do with a plant swap/sale. The whole idea started with some of us who start all our plants from seed usually have extras - we start more than we need in case of a die off.

TillerBee on Pinecam wrote: Let's decide whether to go ahead with a plant swap and sale. CooknThyme, due to various circumstances, was the lead but had to withdraw. Her partners also have withdrawn. That leaves us to decide.

I propose the plant swap/sale proceed as:

1. Anyone with plants may swap or sell their plants as they choose.

2. You don't have to have plants to swap/sell; you can participate by getting plants. I know I hate to not know what to do with my extra plants and would rather give them away.

3. All swaps and sales are among the gardeners involved. Swap or give away or sell for whatever price is up to the gardeners.

4. All swaps/sales are final. No one is going to the guarantee plants you get will grow. That's up to you. We're all home gardeners after all.

Do you agree with these ideas?

If you would like to participate in a plant swap/sale, please vote above on a possible date. If enough people want to participate, we'll decide where to hold the plant swap/sale next.

You all have 5 days to vote. I know I'm getting ready to thin my seedlings and would need to know rather soon whether to plant the extras or just ***horrors*** put them on my compost.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 May 2012 11:38 #2 by TillerBee
F.Y.I. The vote so far on Pinecam is: 2 votes for June 9, 6 votes for May 26, and 2 not joining the swap/sale. I will total the votes from both website for the final decision.

07 May 2012 13:30 #3 by pacamom
I cant make it any of those days. Can we pick a different day?

07 May 2012 13:54 #4 by TillerBee
Sorry, pacamom. We started to set this up on a Saturday and I just continued it. To redo the poll to include Sundays would, I think, just confuse those who voted.

07 May 2012 17:18 #5 by pacamom
Thanks Tillerbee. I was just being my usual PITA self. I was able to restrain myself this year and only grow 3 of each variety of tomatoes this year. I hope the swap/sale is a huge success.

08 May 2012 06:56 #6 by TillerBee
pacamom, oh you're never PITA to me. I'm going to have some starts from a plant that was given to me last year by one of the original people who lived up here - she grew up as a child in Burland in the 60's! Anyway, she gave me some plants that she called "Siberian Blueberry". I've identified them as:

Widipedia wrote: Solanum nigrum (European Black Nightshade or locally just "black nightshade", Duscle, Garden Nightshade, Hound's Berry, Petty Morel, Wonder Berry, Small-fruited black nightshade or popolo) is a species in the Solanum genus, native to Eurasia and introduced in the Americas, Australasia and South Africa. Parts of this plant can be highly toxic to livestock and humans, and it's considered a weed. Nonetheless, ripe berries and cooked leaves are used as food in some locales; and plant parts are used as a traditional medicine.

You can see the whole article here .

They are in the same family as potatoes and tomatoes which are also poisonous if you eat the leaves. The lady kept them in her unheated greenhouse and also planted them in her garden. They are tender perennials so will die over the winter here. The ones she had in her greenhouse were about 3 feet high.

My plants bloomed all winter in my house and produced berries. The berries are dark blue, very small, but do taste just like blueberries. If you want to try these, I'll hold back some for you. I think they would do great in the greenhouse attached to your house. The lady said she liked to pick the berries and eat them on her morning cereal.

Thanks for the wishes for the plant swap/sale. It will be what the local gardeners make it be. And only 3 of each kind of tomatoes? How can that be????

08 May 2012 22:51 #7 by pacamom
3 of each, of 8 different varieties. :biggrin:

10 May 2012 15:28 #8 by TillerBee
Final vote tally:

June 2 - 2 votes
June 9 - 4 votes
May 26 (Memorial Day Weekend) - 9 votes

Therefore, the plant swap/sale will be on Saturday, May 26.

Next, we need to decide where to hold the plant swap/sale. Tomorrow morning I will start a topic with another poll.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds