Desperately looking for advice about dog with cancer

05 Feb 2013 23:10 #1 by probymom
Hello,
My family recently moved to Bailey with our 2 dogs and our 7 year old Golden Retriever was just diagnosed yesterday with hermangiosarcoma , a fatal blood cancer. We ended up at the vet 9 days ago because "Coach" wasn't eating and was so lethargic that we had to lift him Ito the car- not typical Golden behavior! He had surgery that day to remove his spleen and the large tumor that was bleeding inside it. The vet has now referred us to an oncologist who we are consulting with on Friday to explore his treatment options. Chemo is not the way we think we want to go with this and we are looking for any type of holistic advice we can get as far as diet and nutritional supplements to build up his red blood cell count an immune system. Unfortunately this cancer affects 1/5 goldens, shepherds and labs and there is a lot of info online. We are thinking of consulting with a holistic vet as we'll as the oncologist so that we can quickly decide what we feel will be best for him.
If anyone else has been through this or has any insight I would truly appreciate your input, I believe that time is truly of the essence as this cancer is known to metasticize within weeks of diagnosis. I'm sure all of you animal lovers out there can appreciate how devastating this is for our family,but we are truly grateful for the loving care and concern that were given to Coach by our caring new vet.

Thanks for reading :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Feb 2013 06:14 #2 by pacamom
Local
You may want to call Aspen Park Vet (303-674-0280 or 303- 838-4444) and this is their website [url=http://www.molecdoc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.molecdoc.com[/url]

Another choice would be the vets up at CSU in Fort Collins.

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/Pages/default.aspx

Good Luck with Coach. I hope for a good outcome.

06 Feb 2013 07:19 #3 by FredHayek
It really might be best to just let nature take its course. We had a dog diagnosed with cancer and put her on some medication to treat the symptoms of the pain but after two years she would no longer take the medication or food and lost weight quickly so we took her into the vet and had them put her down while we were holding her.

Our friends did an intensive chemo regimen with their dog and most of the time the poor pooch was in distress from the chemo and the dog only lived one miserable year.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

06 Feb 2013 07:35 #4 by Nobody that matters
We had two dogs with cancer. Both were about 10 years old. We passed on the chemo, and the vet (Evergreen Animal Hospital) worked with us to treat the symptoms. Doing that we had about another one or two years with each of the dogs. They were happy and playful due to the meds right up until the final couple of days. That's how we knew it was time - when the drugs couldn't win the battle anymore, it was a dramatic change. I took them in to have them put down while I held them.

We got what turned out to be good advice for us - sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

06 Feb 2013 08:08 #5 by RY

probymom wrote: Hello,
My family recently moved to Bailey with our 2 dogs and our 7 year old Golden Retriever was just diagnosed yesterday with hermangiosarcoma , a fatal blood cancer. We ended up at the vet 9 days ago because "Coach" wasn't eating and was so lethargic that we had to lift him Ito the car- not typical Golden behavior! He had surgery that day to remove his spleen and the large tumor that was bleeding inside it. The vet has now referred us to an oncologist who we are consulting with on Friday to explore his treatment options. Chemo is not the way we think we want to go with this and we are looking for any type of holistic advice we can get as far as diet and nutritional supplements to build up his red blood cell count an immune system. Unfortunately this cancer affects 1/5 goldens, shepherds and labs and there is a lot of info online. We are thinking of consulting with a holistic vet as we'll as the oncologist so that we can quickly decide what we feel will be best for him.
If anyone else has been through this or has any insight I would truly appreciate your input, I believe that time is truly of the essence as this cancer is known to metasticize within weeks of diagnosis. I'm sure all of you animal lovers out there can appreciate how devastating this is for our family,but we are truly grateful for the loving care and concern that were given to Coach by our caring new vet.

Thanks for reading :)

sorry to hear what you are going through , please contact or check out http://www.caninewellnesssite.com/About-Us.html Jenny is a local here in Bailey and has many years of experience with dogs.

06 Feb 2013 13:43 #6 by probymom
Thanks for your insight and for sharing.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds