12 Fruits and Vegetables That Last for Months

15 Feb 2013 17:31 #1 by Moonchild
According to a recent report from the Natural Resources Defense Council, 40 percent of the food that’s grown and sold in the United States is wasted—if we cut food waste by just a third, we could feed every hungry person in the country. That waste comes to the staggering cost of $2,275 per year, for a family of four. The biggest loss category? Fresh produce. Just 48 percent of what’s produced is eaten. The rest heads to landfills (or the compost pile).
The solution, though, isn’t cutting back on your fresh produce purchases. It’s getting smarter about how you shop.

http://www.organicgardening.com/print/87068?page=0%2C1

I really like this website and wanted to share this important story. I hope you find it helpful!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Feb 2013 06:28 #2 by LOL
Thx

Good article! Didn't know about cabbage!

I like those little cherry tomatoes too, they keep pretty good.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

17 Feb 2013 11:53 #3 by Moonchild
You're welcome LOL, I'm glad you liked it! I find the cherry tomatoes have the best flavor of any tomatoes you can buy in the winter and you're right, they do keep pretty well. I refuse to buy the big "hot house" ones - they taste and feel like cardboard. :nocommment: I buy the lettuce that comes with the root ball still attached and that will stay good for a month (I usually run out of lettuce having salads long before it goes bad) :eatingsmilies:

I've been storing my potatoes next to my onions in the cabinet. Oops.
: Embarrassed: I'll stop doing that now. :loveheart:

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds