2 llamas killed by 3 dogs

03 Mar 2013 21:58 #1 by pineinthegrass
Sad to read this. A dog owner apparently lets his dogs roam, and they've caused trouble before. And now two llamas are killed.

From The Flume...

http://www.theflume.com/news/first_five/article_82fec4c6-82c3-11e2-a404-001a4bcf6878.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Mar 2013 11:39 #2 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic 2 llamas killed by 3 dogs
Thanks for posting - I hadnt seen this. Those dogs had quite a history. I've had two incidences of dogs chasing the pacas. Fortunately I was home both times and it all turned out ok. (for pacas and dogs!). I can't imagine what it would be like to come home to carnage tho.

04 Mar 2013 11:47 #3 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic 2 llamas killed by 3 dogs
Just curious, could aggresive llamas or alpacas defend themselves against most dogs?

I once owned a cat who tried to go after my sister's rabbit and after a few scars gave up.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

04 Mar 2013 13:06 #4 by pacamom
Llamas are used to guard sheep. Llamas and alpacas will stomp with their front feet and can deliver painful kicks with back feet, and I had a llama that did protect the females during a dog attack.

My alpacas now are very wary of any strange dog. I had two dogs raised from puppies that could go out with the alpacas and the alpacas didnt care about them. They are curious about dogs outside the fence, but anything insie the fence freaks them out. They wouldnt even leave the barn last week when there was a herd of elk out there.

04 Mar 2013 13:28 #5 by MsMAM
Replied by MsMAM on topic 2 llamas killed by 3 dogs
Surprising the dogs lived. They must be something else. I have heard of a llama protecting against mountain lions and bears

04 Mar 2013 15:21 #6 by pacamom
did the llama live?

04 Mar 2013 15:44 #7 by MsMAM
Replied by MsMAM on topic 2 llamas killed by 3 dogs
No - one made it for a while. She was pregnant, but injuries were deemed too severe.

09 Mar 2013 18:36 #8 by Moonchild
Replied by Moonchild on topic 2 llamas killed by 3 dogs
I had no idea that llamas could be so fierce, thank you for posting this story. I guess you learn something new every day!

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds