Proper Brushing Technique for your Dog

02 Aug 2010 22:20 #1 by The Groomer Girl
Let the Fur Fly!
Proper Brushing Technique

When I see matted pets at my shop, I am always more than a little annoyed. But I am always more irritated when I ask if brushing has been completed on a regular basis at home and I get the remark: “Oh, I brush him every day!”
Let me clarify: I am not irritated at my clients, but rather the fact that they rarely ask me how brushing is best done, and the fact that most people aren’t very consistent about it. There are some simple methods to brushing all types of coats properly, and I will tell you how, with some pictures and with the help of my model dog, Kinnon the Collie.

Above are pictured the proper brushes for caring for a longhaired/curly - coated dog. On the left is the comb, and on the right is what is called a slicker brush. You could also use a pin brush (not pictured), which is when you want to avoid breaking off hair (primarily for show usage). However, the average pet owner will probably be fine with a slicker brush, provided it is used with care.
If you run across a slicker brush with your fingers, you will see that it is quite abrasive. Therefore, you need to keep this in mind and use it gently. Don’t dig into the skin - run it gently, but thoroughly through the coat. Also, don’t brush too heavily in one area at a time, or you can give your dog “brush burn”.

When brushing, Lift the coat at the bottom and move up, just like in the picture above. Make sure you get all the way to the skin, and pay special attention to areas of friction - in the groin, in the underarms, under the tail and behind ears.

When you have gone through the whole dog, lift the coat up, and going all the way to the skin, pull the comb through the coat. The dog is not completely brushed until you can go through the entire coat, root to tip, without the comb getting stuck. (Note: on thick double coated dogs, use a coarser comb, or you will pull out too much hair and hurt the dog.)

Shorthaired dogs are easier - just use a rubber curry brush and thoroughly rub the dog all over, removing dead hair, dirt and dander. The more often you do this, the better your dog will look, and the cleaner he’ll be.

Some dogs protest the brushing, but most will learn to stand still as long as you make it a regular occurrence. Most dogs love the attention, and you will love the way he looks and feels!

[youtube:2mkkt6e3]
[/youtube:2mkkt6e3]

The Groomer Girl is a dog and cat groomer with experience in dog breeds, dog grooming, cat grooming and dog and cat training. Feel free to ask questions and she will continue to post articles. Some of her favorite websites are http://www.akc.org and http://www.humanesociety.org

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds