How to give your dog a bath

12 Aug 2010 13:37 #1 by The Groomer Girl
Splish Splash:
Giving your dog a bath

Nobody likes to pet a stinky, smelly dog. Especially if said dog just rolled in a pile of deer poop. So it's a good idea if you bathe your dog, at least once in a while. However, bathing your pet is something you should know a little bit about before just diving into it (pun intended).

Keep in mind that certain dog / cat breeds can be over - bathed quite easily. These include terrier breeds, water-type dogs, and double coated dogs. When over-bathed, their coats can lose their natural oils and/or get too soft. This can cause excessive shedding or matting, loss of protection from water, and in some cases, a funny smell. Also, many longhaired cats can lose too much hair and look rather "mangy" when bathed too often. In general, they should be bathed about every 3 months, relying on a good brushing to remove most dirt.

Another thing to know is that dogs or cats with hair longer than about 1 inch can mat up quite easily when improperly dried after bathing. All tangles should be brushed out prior to the bath, and afterwards, the pet needs to be carefully blown dry with the setting on cool, combined with brushing. Remember - human hair dryers get very hot!

Shampoo selection is important. Don't just go to the grocery store and pick up the cheapest pet shampoo you see - it's probably loaded with harsh chemicals. Opt for a natural shampoo that is as gentle as possible. Following with a remoisturizer/conditioner is a good idea, especially if the dog is bathed often. Always use a shampoo or remoisturizer designed for dogs. Baby shampoo in particular should be avoided. It was designed to help control cradle cap on infants and is therefore very drying to the skin.

The golden rule when bathing is to be VERY careful around the ears and eyes. If you do get a little shampoo in the eyes, very quickly rinse them with a saline solution. It is a very good idea to plug the ears with cotton to avoid getting water in them. Remember never to put them so far down the ear that you can't see them.

The second golden rule when bathing is RINSE, RINSE, RINSE. When you think Fifi is rinsed, rinse again. When you think she's rinsed a second time, rinse again. Leftover shampoo residue can cause rashes and itchiness, and leftover conditioners can cause a waxy or oily buildup.

When you're all done, and Fido has finished rolling all over your living room carpet because he's happy to be clean, you will be happy to know that he's healthy. And you'll probably want to pet him more, too.

The Groomer Girl is a dog and cat groomer with experience in dog breeds, dog grooming, cat grooming and dog and cat training. Feel free to ask questions and she will continue to post articles. Some of her favorite websites are [url=http://www.akc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.akc.org[/url] and [url=http://www.humanesociety.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.humanesociety.org[/url]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Aug 2010 10:10 #2 by Singing in the Rain
Thank you for this information.
I love your column.
Isn't it a partnership between groomer and owner?

15 Aug 2010 13:40 #3 by PondLady
This is great information! Thank you.

15 Aug 2010 20:25 #4 by Cupcake
Replied by Cupcake on topic How to give your dog a bath
Bathe a cat every 3 months??? Soooooo not happening...

OMG, I'm a terrible kitty-mommy....

15 Aug 2010 22:10 #5 by pineinthegrass
I think you need special equipment, or protection, to bathe a cat.

Last time I tried it was about 15 yrs ago. I grabbed the front feet in my hand, but a foot slipped out with the shampoo. Next came the claws into the lower arm. Three of them went in the skin, then out again. So the cat was hanging from my arm with what was like fish hooks.

Didn't hurt that much since it happened quick. But took time to extract, and it got messy.

Never have tried to wash a cat again, and don't plan to either...

16 Aug 2010 08:38 #6 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic How to give your dog a bath
I just used a damp clothe.Safer that way

16 Aug 2010 18:50 #7 by Cupcake
Replied by Cupcake on topic How to give your dog a bath
Just get another cat - they'll wash each other!

16 Aug 2010 20:40 #8 by The Groomer Girl
Oh, trust me, bathing cats is definitely possible (without any equipment at all!). I probably should have mentioned that you should be trained first how to hold a cat before you put water on him. You must gently but firmly hold him by the scruff of the neck. This is the area between the shoulder blades. You should SLOWLY turn on the water to slightly warm, then slowly and carefully wet him all over, starting at the rear end. Generally speaking, cats "give up" once they're wet everywhere to the skin, and stop fighting the process (believe it or not, many come to enjoy the attention!). It is also a good idea to dilute the shampoo with warm water, so you don't shock him by putting on cold shampoo. It also helps to have someone to hand you the shampoo and towels, so you don't have to lose your grip.
Bathing cats isn't necessary for everyone, and trust me, there are some cats I will not go anywhere near with shampoo (just ask my mom about her cat!). It doesn't hurt cats to never have a bath, so you don't have to feel guilty if it's never been done. It is mainly a good idea for people with cat allergies, as it rinses off dander. If you are at all uncomfortable doing it, leave it to a professional : ).

18 Oct 2010 17:14 #9 by Grace
Replied by Grace on topic How to give your dog a bath
Can you recommend a shampoo and conditioner for a rat terrier?

Grace and Sallieanne

Seemingly effortless beauty or charm of movement, form, or proportion.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds