Alpaca farmers in Conifer, Evergreen find a lot of support

18 Sep 2014 14:24 #1 by ScienceChic
Alpaca owners are some of the coolest chicks I know. B)

Alpaca farmers in Conifer, Evergreen find a lot of support
Golden, Evergreen and beyond well-represented at Alpacas on the Rocks
By Josie Klemaier
YourHub Reporter
Posted: 09/18/2014

The foothills outside of Denver are known for their elk herds, but there's another doe-eyed herd animal making its mark on the area.

"It's a perfect environment for alpacas, because they come from the Andes and they're used to the extreme cold," said Michelle Swango, owner of Eye of the Needle Ranch near Genesee where she and her husband, Mike, have been raising alpacas for 10 years.

With around 60 alpacas, Eye of the Needle is probably the largest ranch in the area, but it is part of the close community of about 15 ranchers in the areas of Golden, Evergreen, Conifer, Arvada and southwest Denver that are a part of Alpaca Breeders of the Rockies, a regional chapter of the Alpaca Owners Association .

Alpacas on the rocks

When: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 11 and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 12

Where: Jefferson County Fairgrounds Event Center, 15200 W. Sixth Ave., Golden

Cost: Admission and parking are free

Details: alpacasontherocks.org

More: National Alpaca Farm Days Sept. 27-29. Ranchers open their farms to the public. Visit nationalalpacafarmdays .com for participating farms.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Sep 2014 18:08 #2 by pacamom
Hmmmmmm. I wonder who started that group?

19 Sep 2014 07:38 #3 by ScienceChic
Do you know pacamom? Anyone we know?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

19 Sep 2014 08:58 #4 by pacamom
LOL - you know one of them.
5 small ranches from the Berthoud/Longmont area that joined forces to have Farm Days, Open houses, Shearing Days together.

Adult beverages served on the rocks had something to do with the name.

The first few years, events were held at the actual ranches before deciding the fairgrounds would be better exposure, and have the ability to invite more participants.

19 Sep 2014 09:42 #5 by ScienceChic
That would've been so cool to actually go to the ranches!

LOL is an alpaca farmer? I had no idea! :biggrin:

Thanks for the info - are you going to Alpacas on the Rocks?

20 Sep 2014 07:23 - 20 Sep 2014 10:39 #6 by LOL
Uh, not me! :)

I have lots of mule deer though. They love my yard and are easy to take care of. :)

Can I get a big tax break for my mule deer ranch?

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds