Pond gardening anyone!!!

30 May 2015 17:15 #1 by HappyCamper
Well hubby spent a good part of the day in his hip waders cleaning the pond of all the pine needles and other crud that fell in the pond over the winter.

Happy to say all of our plants wintered over nicely so hopefully after a night of the water running through the filters I can take our first pictures of the year.

We did buy some water Hyacinths via a craigslist ad for the pond but those won’t go out for a week or two depending on the weather.

Also have some small watercress that I will be potting and babying on the deck until a little larger. It has been a long time searching for the watercress (tried seeds no luck) and want to make sure the take hold before putting them in the big pond.

We lived on Conifer Mountain with a small pond and I wish I would have brought the watercress from there as it did great covered 75% of the pond and we were at 9800 feet. When we moved to Bailey we did not have a pond and it has taken some time to get this one where we want it to be.

This pond is 3 or 4 times the size of the Conifer Mountain pond and since we have been here we have expanded it 3 times.

If you have a water garden please share pictures and plants you have success with.
We have not had luck with water lilies as just when they start taking off we get hail so I am done with those.

Just like a regular garden things bloom in ours at different times so will try and share pics often.

It was nice to get the rain as if filled the pond up after winter so didn’t need to add water.

Wish the stores up here carried pond plants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 May 2015 19:53 #2 by ScienceChic
We've never put plants in ours but I'd like to. Watercress does great you say? I'd love something that flowered pretty!

Here's what we have - it's a 1,000 gallon with a 500g/min pump.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

30 May 2015 20:29 #3 by RY
Replied by RY on topic Pond gardening anyone!!!
here are some pics of my pond and "creek" from last year. I planted irises in the shallow areas and they are all coming back this year. the pond and creek are fed from the gutter. It's so fun to watch the birds bath in it and the squirrels come to drink.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

31 May 2015 12:00 - 31 May 2015 12:04 #4 by HappyCamper

So we have 3 types of cattails, 4 types of grasses, yellow iris, water celery, 2 reeds (not fully up yet) and purple lobelia.

Will add the hyacinth, parrot feather and watercress sometime in the next two weeks.

Most of the plants we pulled up from the bottom where they winter over yesterday, still need to trim them up. If we get some warm days with sun they will take off especially the water celery which will vine out and help cover the pond.

SC you need plants they grow like gangbusters in town.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds