interesting article for all greenhouse gardeners...

20 Sep 2010 11:31 #1 by RY
The Winter Garden | Warming Recipes From Four Season Farm

http://www.fourseasonfarm.com/pdfs/foodwine.pdf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Sep 2010 11:51 #2 by pacamom
I have Eliot Coleman's "The Winter Harvest Handbook". We have built a hoop house. Basically we built it around the raised beds and we are still harvesting, although we are getting ready to start planting again soon.

20 Sep 2010 12:18 #3 by RY
how long have you had it pacamom? I am still harvesting green beans, broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes, radicchio, cilantro, carrots from the greenhouse and coldframes, but we were pretty lucky with the weather this September. Are you heating yours? I am curious what a hoophouse looks like, could you post pics?

20 Sep 2010 12:34 #4 by pacamom
cucumbers, beans, onions, snap peas, dill, chives, rosemary, basil, and a thousand million tomatoes are still going strong.

The hoop house was started about a month ago, and still needs a more permanent type door. We may heat it with a couple lights, it depends. But will not be heated with anything else.

The green house is heated, but that has houseplants in in. The roof of the greenhouse is getting a layer of polycarbonate something or other to help with insulating and too much sun.

I have pictures somewhere. I posted them once - on the day that 285bound crashed and burned, so I need to repost.

20 Sep 2010 12:44 #5 by RY
oh yeah, I still have cucumber and basil too, the rosemary is a little tree and still on the porch. My onions never made it and most of my tomatoes are still green I hope they'll ripen before it gets cold. What elevation are you at?

21 Sep 2010 16:49 #6 by pacamom
RY - 8400'. All my tomato plants are cold set varieties - siberian, minskii, manitoba, and others. I can't remember what kind the cherry tomato plants are. We are picking about 10 cherry tomatoes and 5 regular tomatoes a day.

Here are some pictures

before the plastic was put on

An old picture of the inside. Now there is a double layer of plastic, and a door is being framed in. The night it frosted outside we layered plastic directly on the plants

This is the front garden where the cosmos have just gone nuts -

21 Sep 2010 20:00 #7 by Hoot Owl
Very nice Paca, are you a professional horticulturalist?

22 Sep 2010 05:42 #8 by pacamom
Thanks. I wish I was, but all it really takes is water.

27 Sep 2010 04:12 #9 by TillerBee
And keeping the critter out...

Are you using your paca-poop in your gardens?

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds