Breed of Choice

07 Nov 2010 20:56 #11 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Breed of Choice
Golden Retrievers (Hunter) and Cavaliers (Barkclay)....though different in size they are very much alike in temperament. Mellow, even as pups and very devoted to humans. We were fortunate enough to have both breeds at once, the Golden raised the little Cavalier, and though Barclay could run rings around Hunter, both in speed and smarts, the Golden was alpha dog to all of us. We all miss our Hunter, we lost him just three months ago. I see another pup in our future soon, probably a second Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, it would take one of the same breed to keep up with our Barclay. They are so amazingly trainable, just a couple training sessions and they have it down.....smart as whips and devoted to making you happy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Nov 2010 06:29 #12 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Breed of Choice
All dogs are good!
Archer, I'm sorry to hear of your loss of Hunter. I lost Woodrow, a Golden that sounds much like your Hunter, 2 years ago and still miss the heck outa him.

Goldens have such a fabulous love of life. We have one female, Hana. She is momma dog to the young ones and protective of them too. Good with all kids and cats, all sleep curled up with her.

Maggie McDoodle the Chocolate Lab poodle is, well, a chocolate Labradoodle. Wonderful dog, sweet and smart and playful, yet quiet in temperament.

Cosby is almost 15 yrs old and is a Newfoundland/Golden/something-something cross. Best dog I ever knew.

Norman is JMC's adopted (Rosie) dog's son and was supposed to be a Labradoodle, but the DNA test shows him to be Weimereiner and Lhasa with Besinji, Cocker and Shitzu in there. He's a mess! Cute as can be and sweet and smart, too. He is my first ever small dog and is 25 pounds at 5 months old. (This dog is the result of my being a true Foster Failure and why I can't foster anyone ever again. I'd have those 100 dogs, MD! :)

I grew up with GSD's and Great Danes and love those breeds as well.

Like I said in the beginning of this, All dogs are good! Thanks for the thread, K!

08 Nov 2010 07:41 #13 by unlimited
Replied by unlimited on topic Breed of Choice
Don't know if I could ever pick just one breed, so I'll go with what we currently have: Anatolian Shepherds. They're ridiculously large, but amazing.
They are a working dog from Turkey, and have always been used as livestock guardians. No training necessary for that, but we did socialize them
with people and children when they were young, so they love people. Used to wander around the fields of Nebraska with a German wired-haired pointer,
and he was unbelievable in the field. Wouldn't want one as a pet, but great hunters. I think I'd have to agree with JMC about the mutts. They're
pretty hard to beat. I love em all.

08 Nov 2010 08:02 #14 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Breed of Choice

major bean wrote: Beagles! I have been thinking of the pack that I ran about 30 year ago. I had 6 well matched hounds. One was out of a field champ from Tennessee and she had a nose deluxe and was slow and methodical. The lead dog (Saddler) was fast! The others made up the pack. Whenever the lead overran his nose the Tennessee bitch (Trinket) would puzzle out the scent and the pack was on the trail again. The lead dog and pack could really push the rabbit.
Most hounds are dumb, but Saddler was the most "thoughtful" of dogs. He did not turn on to scent until he was a year old. He would just walk along with me and listen to the other pups chasing the rabbit. One day I watched the rabbit go into the hole at the base of a tree. I took the dog to the tree and pulled the rabbit out of the tree and tossed him out and the dog took off after him. After that he was the most wonderful rabbit dog on the face of the earth.
I field trialed my pack quite often and sold very many pups from my breed dogs.
Beagles, most wonderful dogs in the world.

My dad ran hounds, the last one I remember wasa black and tan.

08 Nov 2010 08:08 #15 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Breed of Choice
Hounds when I was real little, then labs. My first dog was a boxer. Then a couple of very good labs, I finally found Chesapeake Bay Retrievers; there is no better breed for waterfowl hunting. Lately we’ve also had a variety of little mutley dogs.

08 Nov 2010 08:42 - 08 Nov 2010 09:31 #16 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Breed of Choice
Have had several german shepherd mixes including 2 all white purebreds, a collie/lab mix, several black labs, and now have a boxer/beagle mix (looks more like boxer/vizsla mix), a boxer/american bull dog (best guess), and an old black lab. All have been great, some smarter on some things than others, but all have an evil genius streak.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

08 Nov 2010 09:08 #17 by ComputerBreath
Replied by ComputerBreath on topic Breed of Choice
I have a 12 year old Miniature Pinscer (Min-Pin). I got her at 5 weeks old and while Min Pins are inherently difficult to house train, she is loyal as any dog I've ever had. She is also smart...like I tell her to do something and she looks at me like she's thinking about doing what I told her...then after some thought she'll do it. Very similar to a teen-ager. She'll take on my big dog in a heartbeat and shows little fear. Not very good around small children, though and very, very jealous of anyone who gets too close to me.

I also have a Rottie/Pit/Black Lab/Husky mix. He is one of the smartest dogs I have ever had. He taught himself to sit as well as house trained himself at 4 months old. I've worked with him to teach him tricks and it usually takes only a few times and he has it and doesn't forget it. Unfortunately, because he is so smart he knows what food comes in and if we give him an opening, he runs with it...he is a thief. He is so good with small children and so gentle, I am amazed. He lets them lay on him and climb all over him. Such a good boy. Everyone that comes to the house absolutely loves him.

I've also had an Australian Shepherd/Black Lab mix that was the sweetest furball and so smart. Unfortunately, when I was re-stationed overseas, I had to give her up. My one real regret in my life.

Can't live without my dogs...

18 Nov 2010 12:05 #18 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Breed of Choice
mini poodle - smart and sweet
half-mini poodle/medium white furry dog mix - sweet, and funny
border collie - smart, loving, and funny as can be
tweenie doxy - stubborn, clown, brat

Loved and love them all

07 Dec 2010 16:02 #19 by His Girl
Replied by His Girl on topic Breed of Choice
German Shepard = Smart
Though I have rescue mutts right now. One is Shepard Collie.

07 Dec 2010 16:48 #20 by Travelingirl
Replied by Travelingirl on topic Breed of Choice
I love Weimaraners. I love their squishy skin and their crystal-blue eyes when they're pups. I love how they lean on you and have to touch you all the time and love to cuddle. I love it when "you're in they're in and when you're out they're out". I love their goofy personalities. I love watching them swim and retrieve. All around great dogs.

[youtube:343vrxca]
[/youtube:343vrxca]

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds