question about lilacs

03 Jun 2010 17:01 #1 by FoothillsRealtor
I saw a lilac in a planter on someone's porch yesterday. I am thinking of doing that to as mine always freeze to the ground every winter (the deer don't get them anymore as I am using deer netting everywhere, works like a charm and one hardly sees it). Anyways, I live in ECH and I guess the altitude, wind, cold are just too much for lilacs. Has anybody had any luck with lilacs in pots? and how would they overwinter? wrapping the pot in insulation? dragging it in the greenhouse? Any ideas? I love lilacs but have not been very lucky up here so far with them.

Sophia S Paul, Broker Associate
Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jun 2010 18:27 #2 by Wayne Harrison
I have a lilac bush that finally bloomed about 3 or 4 years after it was planted (bought it at Platte Canyon Plant Sale years ago in a coffee can). We haven't had any problem with it in winter. It is off the end of our deck and I always shovel a huge pile of snow on it to protect and water it. But we have a south-facing area for it.

Here's what I found on the Internet about lilacs in pots:

Lilacs make excellent container plants in the short term, provided you keep them in full sun; well watered (if they fry, they're gone!); amply fertilized (add a handful of 10-10-10 or equivalent to each pot in the early spring and again in the late spring after bloom); and well limed (a handful of ground lime once a year should suffice.) I would guess that if you start with small enough shrubs, your potted lilacs won't mind waiting a year or two to get to their final home. Good luck!

04 Jun 2010 11:53 #3 by FoothillsRealtor
Thanks Wayne, I will try it. I have a south facing deck and a s/e facing porch; I think ECH is about 9000 feet that might be the problem, but hopefully keeping them close to the house will help.

Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

04 Jun 2010 12:25 #4 by BuyersAgent1
Replied by BuyersAgent1 on topic question about lilacs
"I guess the altitude, wind, cold are just too much for lilacs."

None of mine have been successful but if you take a turn onto Delwood Drive or more-local Royal Court, you will see that someone (long ago) made them not only endure, but prosper...somehow. lol They do not seem to bloom as thoroughly as you'd expect in a lower elevation but they are alive, which is more than mine can say. :) They are in the earth.

04 Jun 2010 12:56 #5 by FoothillsRealtor

BuyersAgent wrote: "I guess the altitude, wind, cold are just too much for lilacs."

None of mine have been successful but if you take a turn onto Delwood Drive or more-local Royal Court, you will see that someone (long ago) made them not only endure, but prosper...somehow. lol They do not seem to bloom as thoroughly as you'd expect in a lower elevation but they are alive, which is more than mine can say. :) They are in the earth.

Hi Buyers Agent, good to meet you here. I am going to try to put them into pots and see what happens. My place is just very windy and either hot or cold... that's why I got the greenhouse for the veggies etc. you should stop by sometime!

Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

04 Jun 2010 18:16 #6 by BuyersAgent1
You're also welcome at our place!
I'll be delighted to meet you in person, only.....please don't laugh (or weep) at my pre-yoga condition, I KNOW it's pathetic and that anyone with an ounce of sense would have already signed up for classes a LONG time ago. lol

04 Jun 2010 18:48 #7 by FoothillsRealtor

BuyersAgent wrote: You're also welcome at our place!
I'll be delighted to meet you in person, only.....please don't laugh (or weep) at my pre-yoga condition, I KNOW it's pathetic and that anyone with an ounce of sense would have already signed up for classes a LONG time ago. lol

we've met before, remember, a long time ago on one of my "neighborhood walks", and no, no judgment about yoga, we never do that; everybody is welcome, any shape, form, age, gender....

Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

04 Jun 2010 20:29 #8 by BuyersAgent1
Please forgive me, of course I remember you (actually our daughters were acquainted many years before), it's just that when I garden it's all I do. lol
I think I was intended to be a farmer, ha.
Love your plantings, always beautiful! I think we're the only ones around who keep up the annual tradition so yes, let's get together one of these days soon!!! Kathy

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds