Sick dog

04 Jan 2011 12:22 #1 by PhoneGeek
Sick dog was created by PhoneGeek
We had to make an emergency visit to our local vet last night. When we went to bring our Golden Retreiver in last night, his eyes were swollen and he was very lethargic. We immediately took him to the vet, he is being treated for an allergic reaction to something and was put on antibiotics. This morning he took his meds and ate his breakfast but not any improvement over last night :( Has any other dog owner had something strange like this happen? He was fine at noon yesterday but was starting to squint?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jan 2011 12:41 #2 by pound dog mom
Replied by pound dog mom on topic Sick dog
PhoneGeek I am so sorry to hear your dog is sick. Sorry but I have not had this happen to mine. I hope he gets well very quickly!

04 Jan 2011 12:54 #3 by theleaf
Replied by theleaf on topic Sick dog
I had this happen to one of my Siberian Huskies. The vet said he best guess was that it was a bee sting inside his mouth (it was summer when this happened), or he might have been maced.

Maybe your pup got a spider?

If every day is an awaking,
you will never grow old.
You will just keep growing.

04 Jan 2011 21:41 #4 by PhoneGeek
Replied by PhoneGeek on topic Sick dog
Not much change tonight except he can't hardly see at all due to both eyes being swollen. He is still eating and drinking but hasn't went to the bathroom all day. He is not vomiting so I don't think there is an obstruction. This just breaks my heart to see my dog in so much pain, doesn't seem that the medication is doing anything, 15 pills in one day..... :dog: :crying2: :crying2:

07 Jan 2011 17:07 #5 by walktrot
Replied by walktrot on topic Sick dog
How's your dog doing? Much better, I hope.
I had a dog with a very swollen face, eyes almost swollen closed, this was several decades ago. It was a spider bite. She pulled through but was very scary, the nasal passages were also swollen so breathing was labored.

07 Jan 2011 19:16 #6 by PhoneGeek
Replied by PhoneGeek on topic Sick dog
Today was the first good day in 5 days, he can open his eyes now. They look pretty scary like he's been in a bar fight. He's been to the vet twice and they still don't know what caused it. He didn't loose his appetite and he was able to go to the bathroom. They had him on 20 pills of meds a day. This was so scary not know what caused it, my other dog a boarder collie was just fine. My golden also had labored breathing, we thought we were going to loose him one night.... Thank God he seems on the road to recovery. Thanks for asking.

07 Jan 2011 19:52 #7 by walktrot
Replied by walktrot on topic Sick dog
Sounds like he's on the right track. I'm sure every pat and kind word helps him more than you may know. Hang in there and please, keep us updated.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds