Mount Bierstadt A Perfect Beginner Fourteener

16 Jun 2010 03:15 #1 by MyMountainTown

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jun 2010 07:04 #2 by Wayne Harrison
Bierstadt is really crowded during the hiking season. I used to go for "near 14ers" which aren't crowded. For instance, across the road from Bierstadt is Squaretop Mountain at 13,794. The last time I hiked that we saw a total of TWO people up and down. It's also got a beautiful view onto Lake Dillon and the sailboats from on top. No trail to the top but it's an easy hike -- and no crowds.

06 Jul 2010 19:56 - 23 Jun 2013 15:47 #3 by major bean

Regards,
Major Bean

08 Jul 2010 00:51 - 08 Jul 2010 01:12 #4 by AlpineMike

Wayne Harrison wrote: Bierstadt is really crowded during the hiking season. I used to go for "near 14ers" which aren't crowded. For instance, across the road from Bierstadt is Squaretop Mountain at 13,794. The last time I hiked that we saw a total of TWO people up and down. It's also got a beautiful view onto Lake Dillon and the sailboats from on top. No trail to the top but it's an easy hike -- and no crowds.

I like Square Top Mtn., I hiked I several times. The the most recent time I hiked it was the most memorable.
Square Top Mtn. gave me (I think permanant) moderate astrapophobia. Thought I was going "to meet my maker" last visit. Came out of nowhere fast and struck often at a very close proximity. I'll never forget that day.

08 Jul 2010 00:58 #5 by AlpineMike
Mt. Sherman is a good beginner fourteener as well. http://climbing.about.com/od/mountaincl ... herman.htm

08 Jul 2010 03:33 #6 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Mount Bierstadt A Perfect Beginner Fourteener

08 Jul 2010 18:55 - 23 Jun 2013 15:51 #7 by major bean

Regards,
Major Bean

08 Jul 2010 21:47 #8 by Wayne Harrison
A good way to lesson the chances of lightning is to start out early early and be on your way down by noon, before the clouds build. Not a guarantee, but better than being up there when the afternoon storms build up.

08 Jul 2010 22:09 #9 by Hoot Owl
Curious, what would you do if you were caught above timberline in a lightening/thunderstorm?

11 Jul 2010 10:21 #10 by Abner
Another starter 14er is Quandary Peak, near Breckenridge.

After that an easy way to bag two 14ers in one day, hike up Torreys Peak (14,267). Continue the hike to Grays Peak (14,270) 30 minutes away. The low point on the short saddle connecting the two peaks is at 13,707.

After that Tommyknockers! :party

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds