Scenic location on homepage

29 Oct 2011 08:44 #1 by Arlen
On the home page of 285Bound there are several pictures which are quite amazing. What is the location the following picture?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Oct 2011 08:52 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Scenic location on homepage
I am not sure about this picture but I think it may have come from Pinedust.

29 Oct 2011 09:01 #3 by Wayne Harrison
Looks like South Park. Kenosha Pass area maybe.

You should do a contest to guess.

29 Oct 2011 09:06 #4 by Blazer Bob
Dune?

29 Oct 2011 16:30 #5 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Scenic location on homepage

neptunechimney wrote: Dune?

As in sand? or the movie?

30 Oct 2011 10:47 #6 by Photo-fish
Looks like Great Sand Dunes National Park.

Here is a picture I took a few springs ago in the park. The melting early morning snow gave the dunes the dark bands of color.
File Attachment:

Here is a view of the dunes from across the southern prairie.
File Attachment:

This was taken standing in the creek. If you go there, go in spring when the creek is still flowing.
File Attachment:

The front side of the dunes are nice and smooth and fun to climb. But the back side of the Dunes, where the sand falls back into the creek is pretty cool too. Here are some close-ups I took that make the backside of the Dunes look like massive canyon walls with sand waterfalls.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Early morning is also good for the dogs when the sand is not too hot. But this was in May.
File Attachment:

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

30 Oct 2011 10:52 #7 by Arlen
Replied by Arlen on topic Scenic location on homepage
Photo-fish, those are wonderful pictures! Your photos are wonderful. Your examples have stirred my desire to return to Sand Dunes. I believe that you are correct about my inquiry of the location of the picture in the OP.

30 Oct 2011 11:31 #8 by Photo-fish
Next time I WILL bring some better equipment. Cameras do not like sand dune environments.

The Dunes are awesome to explore & the surge flow of Medano Creek is fasinating to watch. Comes through about every 20 seconds.
[youtube:18beemhf]
[/youtube:18beemhf]

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

30 Oct 2011 11:35 #9 by Arlen
Replied by Arlen on topic Scenic location on homepage
What is going on there? Is that surge a continuous phenom? Has it rained upstream? I am puzzled.

30 Oct 2011 11:39 #10 by Photo-fish
This is one of the few places in the world where one can experience surge flow, a stream flowing in rhythmic waves on sand. Three elements are needed to produce the phenomenon: a relatively steep gradient to give the stream a high velocity; a smooth, mobile creekbed with little resistance; and sufficient water to create surges. In spring and early summer, these elements combine to make waves at Great Sand Dunes. As water flows across sand, sand dams or antidunes form on the creekbed, gathering water. When the water pressure is too great, the dams break, sending down a wave about every 20 seconds. In wet years, waves can surge up to a foot high!
http://www.nps.gov/grsa/naturescience/hydrology.htm

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds